Author: Wayne Stafford

[youtube]http://youtu.be/qp316YD_oZE[/youtube]

Hydraulic fracturing and all other gas and oil exportation activity has been given an initial okay to be banned within the Fort Collins city limits.  With a flood of public support, Fort Collins City Council voted 5-2 in favor of the ban on Tuesday.

Fracking has become a hot topic here in Fort Collins as 84,000 gallons of fracking fluid and oil burst out of a well for 30 hours in Windsor last week.

The environmental impact and health effects of hydraulic fracking were the most highly contested topics in the city council chambers.

Fracking is a process of using chemically treated water under pressure to cause underground bedrock to fracture so that natural resources can be extracted.  These chemicals include things like naphthalene; a possible carcinogen, potassium chloride; sometimes used for lethal injection, a toxic chemical known as Tergitol NP-4, and many others.

Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper drank a glass of fracking fluid produced by Halliburton oilfield services last week.

The Fort Collins City Council is scheduled to give final consideration for the ban during its regular meeting on March 5th.  And so the fracking debate continues between the economic need to mine our natural resources and the health and environmental impacts that come from it.