Author: Cassandra Whelihan

“How full of the creative genius is the air in which these are generated!
I should hardly admire more if real stars fell
and lodged on my coat.”
–Henry David Thoreau, 1856 [1]

Ah, winter is calling; I can hear her. A time when the days become shorter and the nights grow colder. When frost begins to make its way back into my mornings, nipping at my lungs. Fall transforms its magical colors into a white palate mixed with sparkling greys and majestic blacks.

Fall marks a time of wintery anticipation as I pack away what little summer attire I own. While winter lovers everywhere begin to mark their calendars with potential ski dates, anxiously awaiting the first snowfall.

The question on all our minds: will this be a year of epic snowfall or a bust?

Weather reports render a divided nation.

Unfortunately, the Farmers Almanac for the 2013 winter has predicted a snowier then usual winter for the eastern states, leaving the western states in a less-then snowy state. This past spring and summer, the country has experienced some of the worst drought conditions in over 50 years.

Fort Collins can attest to this fact after spending the summer battling traumatic wildfires, which left our beloved Horsetooth Reservoir at pitiful depths. Last year marked the fourth warmest winter since 1985, with over 24 states experiencing less then average rates of precipitation.

So what will be the fate for us Coloradans?

As of right now, it’s looking like a mild winter with average precipitation.

However, let us not lose faith in Mother Nature quite yet. Meteorologists have been known to get it wrong and the weather is forever playing tricks on us.

So I recommend breaking out the old snow dance moves and shaking your tail feather because snow is a-coming; I can feel it in my bones.

You decide: will-winter-return-with-a-vengeance