Author: Katie Spencer

UPDATE: Sigg appeared in court Thursday morning for the first time. He is to be tried as an adult and is being held without bond. Sigg’s family was in the courthouse for the initial hearing as well as Jessica’s family. Jefferson County District Attorney Scott Storey is reporting overwhelming evidence against Sigg.

Police say they have made an arrest in the abduction and murder of  Jessica Ridgeway. Austin Reed Sigg, a 17-year-old from Westminster has been arrested and has five charges pending including two charges of murder in the first degree. Sigg is a student at Arapahoe Community College. Police can’t confirm if DNA was a factor in this case yet. They also can’t confirm how he was turned in, although there are rumors that his mother turned him in. Westminster Police Chief Lee Birk said this is a, “significant step for justice for Jessica.” Police wanted to thank the community for the continued support in the investigation. Jefferson County District Attorney Scott Storey said this arrest will hopefully, “cause the community to rest easier.” Jessica’s family has been notified of the arrest.  Police say the investigation is ongoing even though this arrest has been made. Sigg’s first court appearance is scheduled for Thursday morning at 8. Stay tuned to CTV for further updates.

Enhanced by Zemanta