Author: Nicole Beale

Photo Courtesy of Visual Nectar Photography

One of Fort Collins’ very own prodigies is beginning to make their mark on the music scene. A band named Good Gravy is catching the eyes of many. From jam band fans to bluegrass fans, they are turning heads. They classify themselves as a folk/rock/jazz band with a hint of Caribbean influence.

The band consists of Jeremy Page on acoustic/electric guitar and vocals, Ross Montgomery on acoustic/electric mandolin and vocals, Evan Brenton on acoustic/electric upright bass and Ableton live, Nick Deyo on acoustic/electric drums, vocals and Ableton live, and Kyle Vanbuskirk on acoustic/electronic percussion, synthesizer and trumpet.

On Sept. 15, Good Gravy took everyone in the Aggie on an “excellent adventure”. They are known for their live shows, as their high energy performance consisted of live artists, glow stick wars and balloon drops. On Facebook, they warned each fan that this was going to be a special night. The theme was “Good Gravy’s Excellent Adventure”. Anyone who dressed in a costume from 500 b.c. to 1990 received a discount on their ticket.

One thing unique to Gravy is their fan base. Gravy fans were decked head to toe in retro gear along with signs saying things like ‘rage’ and ‘party on’. Gravy set the mood with Chinese lanterns and Christmas lights around the venue.

The band is currently playing at different music festivals, but took some time out of their busy schedule to let us in on how the recipe formed for this Good Gravy.

When asked how they got started Brenton answered, “Jeremy and Ross started out as picking buddies and began playing open mic nights at Avo’s. Soon they added Nick on drums and Kyle on percussion. I started playing bass in the summer of 2008 for the band and its just clicked after that. We all knew we had something special and just ran with it.”

They are planning on coming out with their second studio album in 2013. They are going to be hitting a lot of festivals this summer as well as playing a few shows coming up in Colorado. They will be playing at the Aggie on Oct. 12th and Bluebird Theater in Denver on Oct. 13th.

You can download their album for free on their website: www.goodgravygrass.com and they have most their live shows available for download on: www.archive.org.

Throughout the last few years Colorado has been producing up and coming bands and becoming an extremely popular place for prevalent artists to perform. There are some huge bands from our home of Colorado, such as Big Head Todd and the Monsters, String Cheese Incident, Elephant Revival, Pretty Lights, and Yonder Mountain String Band. Our own Front Range funky town is becoming quite the hot spot as well. With venues like the Mishawaka, Hodi’s Half Note and the Aggie, there are some shows you don’t want to miss.

Aggie

October 10: Matisyahu

October 11: Brother Ali

October 12: Hot Buttered Rum & GOOD GRAVY

October 14: Ott & All Seeing I

October 17: Michal Menert & Break Science

October 18: Steve Kimock

October 21: Groundation & Trevor Hall

October 24: Zion I & Minnesota

October 25: Motet plays Parliament Funkadelic

October 27: Trichome

November 10: Emanicaptor with Blockhead

Hodi’s Half Note

October 12: Talking Heads Tribute

Mishawaka

October 12: Supersuckers with Turn 4

October 26: Reverend Peyton’s Big Damn Band