Author: Kendall Greenwood

A new season is beginning. The leaves are changing and the wind is cooler. You have pulled out your fall wardrobe. You stare at the pile of last year’s sweaters and wonder; will they still look fashionable?

The fall trends for this year are beginning to emerge.  Men and women’s trends bring new ideas on how to keep your body warm and comfortable.

Silhouette

According to Don Duty, 41, manager of Men’s Wearhouse, the fit in men’s apparel is the biggest change.

Herrenmode 2011 in London. Anzug mit Weste und...

Herrenmode 2011 in London. Anzug mit Weste und Binder. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

“The trend coming up this fall is going to be modern fit, modern fit, modern fit,” Duty said. “That is the new exciting thing.”

This means that jackets, shirts, pants, and even ties are going to be more form-fitting.  The arm holes on jackets and shirts will be a little higher and pants will be closer to a skinny jean.

“It’s a little bit more like a European style cut,” Duty said.

For women, some clothing is going to create a multi-layered look. Pieces in an outfit will not create one length to the garments. Several lengths will be seen in one outfit.

“We see high and low lengths already happening in tops and dresses and we are probably going to see more of that with skirts, dresses, coats, etc.,” said Carol Engel-Enright, internship coordinator and instructor for the Department of Design and Merchandising at CSU.

Outerwear/Jackets

Men’s jackets are going to have a tighter fit and transfer from suit to casual-wear easily.

“Most of the modern fit suit coats and sport coats are very denim friendly,” Duty said.

Women’s outerwear trending this fall has a looser fit with styles like boyfriend jackets and blanket coats, according to Kevin Kissell, an instructor for the Department of Design and Merchandising.

“Blanket coats are big, giant, chunky coats probably kind of like an alteration of the trend of shawls,” Kissell said.

Greener

Greener (Photo credit: ninette_luz)

Colors

Colors for men’s clothing are fall-like, but with a bright twist.  According to Duty, pinks, lavenders, bright oranges, burnt oranges and greens will be on shirts, jackets, pants and ties.

According to Engel-Enright, color blocking is big in women’s apparel this fall. Contrasting colors will be styled together, but garments will also be made with more than one color through color insets. For example, a mainly camel coat could have black insets on the sleeves or sides of the coat.

Patterns/Prints

A trend for both genders is pattern on pattern. For men, this means stripes, checked patterns and tone-on-tone paisley could be mixed and matched in an outfit.

“The jacket and pants will have some sort of pattern to them, shirts will have high color or pattern and then the ties will be high color, skinny, and pattern,” Duty said.

Women’s apparel will have a mix of patterns like plaids and tweeds. Prints are also prominent, both big and digital prints.

“Any kind of large print is going to be a textile trend,” Kissell said.

A digital print is different from other prints. Designers use photography to make a textile design.  Then, instead of printing and cutting the fabric into a garment, the garment is made first.

“[The prints] are actually printed on the piece itself,” Engel-Enright said.

Leather

According to Kissell, we will see leather in women’s apparel as jackets, skirts and pants. However, these are not the only items we will see.

“I think co-eds are going to take their twist on it, especially in Colorado,” Engel-Enright said.

David Russon, 27, a design and merchandising student at CSU, looks for trends that fit with his classic look. One of those for this fall is the military look.

“I like the details of the shoulders, the big buttons and just the structure of it,” Russon said.