Author: Anna Palmer

This image shows the popular Koru Flag, a prop...

This image shows the popular Koru Flag, a proposed secondary flag of New Zealand designed by Friedensreich Hundertwasser in 1983. It is based on the Koru, an iconic symbol of New Zealand flora. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

The Koru is a Maori spiritual symbol meaning new life, creativity, personal growth and new beginnings. This New Zealand fern plant represents the unfolding of new life, a subtle reminder that everything is reborn and continues. It represents renewal and hope for the future.

The Koru is not only symbolic of this journey I am embarking on, but of the life I have left behind. Standing on the precipice, I left behind my family and friends as the fate of my home stood on the brink of disaster. The Waldo Canyon fire swept through the foothills at a pace so rapid I am grateful for the life it did spare…the life of my family and friends. The flames charged down the foothills behind my home, urging us to leave behind the majority of our material possessions. I will never forget the image of the massive flames flickering in the rearview mirror as we drove away looking back on what would be the last view of our home and life as we knew it. The fire took away my home, leaving behind only rubble and ash. The destruction this fire evoked will not be forgotten for many years to come. The hiking trails I grew so accustomed to and maybe even took advantage of are now gone and exist only in my memory of life before the fire.

No Responses to “Student Abroad: Conscious living in New Zealand with Anna Palmer”

1. Hi Anna, that’s quite an experience. I remember Elizabeth Kubler Ross saying when fire destroyed her home that she missed the photos but it did save her from packing, kia kaha.
    Love that you use the Hunderwasser Koru flag image & all that it represents. I’m a big supporter of the Koru flag & always enjoy seeing it flying/displayed & especially the stories that go with it.
    All the very best
    Kindest regards,
    Faye