Jul 112012

Author: CollegeAveStaff

By Emily Smith

The little white dress, lace, tuxedo jackets, sportswear and floral prints are just a few of the most popular trends for spring/summer 2012.

On Thurs. Feb.16, CSU’s student chapter of Fashion Group International (FGI) hosted a viewing of the “Spring/Summer 2012 Ready to Wear Trends” video, created by the professional FGI chapter.

The trends featured in the video were based on looks straight off the runways of several designers’ collections shown at fashion weeks in New York, London, Milan and Paris.

The trendiest colors for spring and summer included white (which opened almost every major fashion show), tangerine, green, lemon, red, pastel light blue, and black and white paired together.

Multicultural looks inspired by Spain (at Moschino), Haiti (at Donna Karan), India (at Thakoon) and Africa (at Michael Kors) made a statement.

Patterns that were big hits included flowers, tropical, leaves, birds, animal, and photo prints.

At Alexander McQueen, Balmain and Dries Van Noten, couture touches such as needle art and beadwork made a statement on the Ready to Wear runways.

Sportswear, including anoraks, track pants, motorcycle jackets at Vera Wang and mesh cover-ups, also made a big appearance on the runways for spring and summer.

Other popular apparel trends featured were bras and bandeaus, pleats at Chloe and Prada, a variety of skirt lengths and pant widths, long evening dresses with sweaters or jackets, feathers, and ocean themes at Chanel, Versace and Zac Posen.

When it came to accessories, trends for spring and summer included wedge shoes, handbags that match outfits, pearls everywhere at Chanel and Lanvin, and vintage-style earrings.

“The video did a great job of summarizing the upcoming trends for spring and summer,” said Rene Peketz, junior apparel merchandising major.

“My favorite trend was the little white dress,” Peketz said, “easy to wear casually and dressy.”

Following the video, FGI officers gave a presentation on how to interpret these trends on a college budget. Each of the nine officers chose one of the trends from the video and found items that matched it at three different price points (budget, medium, and higher-end).

For example, the tuxedo trend was reflected in a $30 jacket from Forever 21. The little white dress could be found at H&M for $29, and wedges from Delia’s were $39.50.

“The officers had some valuable advice on how and where to get these trends for us low-income college students,” Peketz said.