Authors: The Rocky Mountain Collegian Editorial Board

A year ago today, students were running up and down the halls of Corbett, shouting “USA! USA!” in wake of a late night announcement from President Obama proclaiming that Osama bin Laden had been killed by U.S. forces.

Here we are, one year later. Simultaneously nothing, and everything, has changed.

Yesterday, Obama made a trip to Afghanistan to sign a pact with Afghani President Hamid Karzai to “mark the beginning of the end of a war that has lasted a decade,” according to the New York Times.

The U.S. continues to have strained relations with Pakistan, the nation where bin Laden was ultimately killed in a compound not far from the country’s preeminent military academy.

And we continue to have a toxic political climate, one exacerbated by the upcoming election, and one where foreign policy has taken a backseat to the U.S.’ faltering economy.

President Obama has already begun using his administration’s strategic annihilation of bin Laden as a crowning achievement of his four years in office, and because of it, has collaborated with numerous efforts to create movies and books about the mission.

But one year later, we ought to stop and think. Do any of us feel safer now that bin Laden is dead? Was it worth it to run through Corbett Hall, or to feel the sense of elation most of us felt when we watched Obama’s initial announcement?

It’s hard to believe that it’s been a year. Bin Laden’s death definitely marked the end of the era, but only time will tell if this era and the last will be much different.