Weekender Calendar 4/27/12

MUSIC

Frankenstein Brothers featuring Buckethead and That 1 Guy with Wolff and Tuba
Aggie Theatre
Friday
8 p.m.
$27
“In 2008, guitarist Buckethead released ‘Bolt On Neck,’ a collaboration called Frankenstein Brothers with multi-instrumentalist That 1 Guy,” according to first-avenue.com. “As the one-man band known as That 1 Guy, Mike Silverman plays an instrument of his own invention, which he calls “the magic pipe.” After growing frustrated with other instruments, he designed it over the course of a month spent haunting hardware stores, collecting odd lengths of pipe and tools with the manic fervor of Richard Dreyfuss’ character in ‘Close Encounters of the Third Kind.’”

Post Paradise and The Heyday with Take To The Oars
Hodi’s Half Note
Friday
8 p.m.
$5 day of, $5 under 21
“If you’ve been hanging around the Northern Colorado rock scene for the past year or so, odds are you’ve heard about a band who has been taking venues by storm and amassing a generous buzz with the locals,” according to the band’s Myspace page. “With their innovative songwriting, unique instrumentation and unforgettable live show, the cello-driven rock band Post Paradise is a fairly unmistakable outfit.”

Wire Faces with Achille Lauro and Hindershot
Road 34
Friday
9 p.m.
$5
“Wire Faces creates the sort of post-punk that ends up sounding like Gang of Four meets Fugazi… While Wire Faces’ new album is solid all the way through, it’s live where the act really shines..” according to Jon Solomon of the Westword. According to Eryc Eyl of The Denver Post, “The relatively young band has created a complex, honest record of surprising depth and maturity that all-but-demands repeated listens.”

Wendy Woo and Jeff Brinkman
Avogadro’s Number
Saturday
7:30 p.m.
$12
“Extremely popular with both fans and media, Wendy Woo has established herself as one of Colorado’s most requested entertainers for concerts, festivals, fairs, and private events,” according to the band’s website. “In addition to having played in top venues on both coasts, she and her band perform frequently throughout the Rocky Mountain region and nearby states and have a large fan base.”

Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Band Concert with Michelle Stanley
Griffin Concert Hall, University Center for the Arts
Sunday
2 p.m.
$12 for adults, $7 for CSU students, $1 for youth ages 2 to 17
“The Wind Ensemble, directed by Dr. Christopher Nicholas, performs Toshio Mashima’s Les Trois Notes du Japon, offering three visions of Japanese environment and life that, while Eastern in motivation, are resoundingly modern in style,” according to the event’s page on www.colostate.edu.

THEATER
‘The Ladies Man’
Lincoln Center
Friday and Saturday
8 p.m. both nights
$22 to $27 adults; $16 to $20 seniors, students and groups of 10 or more; $16 to $20 matinees
“To fully enjoy ‘The Ladies Man,’ you must suspend belief and remove your hat of plausibility for a zany ride,” according to a press release from OpenStage Theatre. “Charles Morey’s free-handed adaptation of Georges Feydeau’s fast-paced and frothy French farce is set in turn-of-the-century Paris. The shaggy-poodle story tells of a physician wrongly suspected of infidelity by his youthful wife. As a result, comedic confusion lurks behind every door and mistaken-identity cases multiply like mayflies.”

‘The Sound of Music’
Midtown Arts Center
Friday, Saturday and Sunday
Evening Performances:
Lounge and Bar open at 5:30 p.m.
Pre-Show begins at 7:15 p.m.
Matinee Performances:
Lounge and Bar opens at 11:30 a.m.
Pre-Show begins at 1:15 p.m.
$49 matinee, $59 evening
“The world’s best-loved musical, “The Sound of Music,” is a lavish and critically-acclaimed production telling the uplifting true story of the Von Trapp family’s flight across the mountains,” according to the Midtown Arts Center’s website. “With its unforgettable score, “The Sound Of Music” touches the hearts of all ages and brims over with some of the most memorable songs ever performed.”

ART
Fiber Art
Poudre Studio Artists and Galleries
Friday and Saturday
11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
“Pieces (featured in the exhibit) range from wearables, such as hats and scarves, to whimsical sculpture and even video,” according to a press release. According to Becky Hawley, Marketing Director of Poudre Studio Artist and Galleries, “Fiber art is so interesting because it takes materials that we think of as functional, and uses them in a completely different way.”

LIFE
Relay For Life
Student Recreation Center
Saturday
6 p.m.
Relay For Life participants take turns walking around the track for 14 hours in recognition of the constant struggle against cancer, according to the event’s page at www.colostate.edu. “Fundraising occurs by teams before and during the event, with the majority of the proceeds going to ACS’s long list of programs for patients and funds for research. The overnight event starts with the recognition of cancer patients and survivors, later followed by a luminaria ceremony in memory of all those whom we have lost. We continue to stave off sleep with the laughter and hope we share with others and with the competitions/activities set up for individuals and teams (and that loud music. . .).” To start a team or learn more details, contact Relay For Life’s Team Development chair Claire Willis at willis.c7@q.com.

MOVIES
Film viewing and discussion: ‘Miss Representation’
Behavioral Sciences Building, Rm 131
Friday
6:30 p.m.
Free