Authors: Allison Sylte, Kevin Lytle and Erin Udell

According to a 90-page report by Fort Collins Police Services detailing the investigation surrounding an April 6 altercation between six CSU football players and four CSU freshmen, some of the players involved in the case lied to police officers about their whereabouts during and leading up to the fight.

In addition, bloody clothing was found in the residence of junior linebacker Mike Orakpo and junior defensive end Nordly Capi, and dried blood was found in junior defensive end Colton Paulhus’ 2001 Lincoln Navigator, the report said.

Fort Collins Police announced Thursday that Orakpo, Capi, Paulhus and freshman health and exercise science major Donald William Gocha will be charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct.

Orakpo and Capi both initially claimed, when questioned on April 7, not to have been at the party the night of the altercation. Both said they had been watching movies with friends, the report shows.

When questioned again on April 13, Orakpo told Fort Collins police that he had lied during his initial statement because “He didn’t want to get in trouble with his coach,” according to the police report.

After being confronted about the incident by his coaches verbally over the phone, Capi told them “he did not know what they were talking about, that they were not in a fight and they had been ‘chilling all day,”’ the report states.

During his April 13 questioning session, Orakpo also told officers that he had not discussed the case with anyone via text message. However, text messages sent by Orakpo to teammate James Skelton, that were obtained by Fort Collins Police Services per a warrant, indicate otherwise, according to the police report.

The report stated that, after Skelton asked Orakpo, “Did u whoop somebodys ass?” Orakpo responded “Yea we got into it, hope nu n ad dont tell.” (“nu,” according to the report, is thought to indicate teammate Nu’uvali Fa’apito, and “ad” is believed to be teammate Aaron Davis. Both Davis and Fa’apito were present at the altercation.)

Report details show police filed a search warrant for the home of Orakpo and Capi (who live together) as well as the residence of Paulhus in order to search for bloody footwear and clothing believed to have been connected to the April 6 altercation.

Shorts stained with blood were found in Orakpo’s bedroom, and jeans were found on the dryer that appeared to have a blood smeared on the fabric, the report said.

While searching both Paulhus and Orakpo’s homes, police also believe they found evidence of anabolic steroids, the report goes on to say.

Paulhus told police he has a prescription for the steroids due to low testosterone levels, according to the report. When police opened a duffle bag located in Paulhus’ bedroom, police “discovered numerous hypodermic needles in plastic bags,” the report said, adding that there were “foil packages that indicated the contents were anabolic steroids.”

In addition, a marijuana pipe was found in plain view under the television, the report stated, in addition to a clear glass vile in plain view.

Officers also found “unlabeled vials with a clear liquid inside a small refrigerator… along with syringes and alcohol swabs,” the report said. Officers also found a box for a kit used to skew the results of a marijuana drug test on the living room floor of Orakpo and Capi’s residence.

“As the box and bottles were unlabeled, and in conjunction with the syringes and alcohol wipes I suspected they were related to unlawful drug use,” Officer Bryan Vogel wrote in the police report.

In a statement, CSU Spokesman Mike Hooker said, “CSU’s Office of Conflict Resolution and Student Conduct Services is immediately reviewing the police reports.

“The student conduct process is independent from the police investigation and can result in university disciplinary actions regardless of the decisions made by police and prosecutors in the criminal justice system,” the statement went on to say.

Federal law prevents CSU from discussing specific student cases.

“I am aware of the charges filed today against Nordly Capi, Mike Orakpo and Colton Paulhus,” football coach Jim McElwain said in a statement. “This matter remains under university investigation, and as of this time the status of the student-athletes remains unchanged. I will not have further comment at this time.”

Assistant Sports Editor Kevin Lytle, News Editor Erin Udell and Content Managing Editor Allison Sylte can be reached at news@collegian.com.