Authors: Kyle Grabowski

CSU needs to start its third head coaching search of the year, after women’s basketball coach Kristen Holt announced her resignation Thursday morning.

“I was in a place where I wanted to resign my position and move in a different direction,” Holt said. “During the season I hadn’t discussed it, that was all out focused on the year.”

The Rams went 13-17 in 2011, including a perfect 7-0 in conference play at home. Overall, Holt compiled a 50-71 mark as a head coach in her four-year career.

After the season, Holt decided that it was in her best interests to look for other opportunities rather than stay at CSU.

“I decided I would rather resign as opposed to not resigning and be looking,” she said. “I didn’t think that would be the professional way of doing it.”

CSU announced that assistant coach Dick Lien would take over as interim head coach while the university begins the search process.

“Mostly we’ll be there for the players,” Lien said. “This is the slowest time of the year as far as our team is concerned.”

Lien has been with the program for five years as an assistant, while making head coaching stops at Wyoming and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’s national team. CSU did not offer Lien the head coaching position.

Athletic director Jack Graham, will employ the services of JMI Sports to help him find the program’s next coach, the same agency he used to hire men’s basketball coach Larry Eustachy.

“I find enormous value in working with an executive search firm both because they can sort lots of candidates and because they can sit alongside me and help interview those candidates to determine whether or not they’re a good fit for the job,” Graham said.

The process of looking for a new coach will begin in “about a week,” according to Graham, when he and the firm will assemble a list of roughly 75 candidates. From there they will narrow it down to 10 and conduct minimum four-hour interviews with the subjects.

“I think it takes that kind of face time with people to get to know them adequately,” Graham said.

Graham will narrow the list to about three finalists, speak with those people for “another three or four hours,” and then make the final decision.

Holt did not speak directly with the team, instead Graham informed the players of her decision in a 2 p.m. meeting

In the meeting, he explained her reasoning for resigning and assured the team that he would employ the same process to hire its next coach that he used to hire both the football and men’s basketball coach.

“I very much trust him and have a lot of faith in what he’s going to find and do for us,” junior Sam Martin said.

Women’s basketball Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.