Authors: Nicolle Fagan

Ideas of sustainability were made a reality last night at the TEDxCSU event “Growing Greener Generations,” where a dozen speakers and a handful of video presentations informed and inspired audience members to try to make a positive change for the environment.

The presentations ranged from technological discovery to a reading of slam poetry. All of which carried the same “green” message to act.

Former Colorado Gov. Bill Ritter kicked off the event with a bike parade from the CSU Oval to the Lincoln Center where the event was held. He later spoke as their keynote speaker.

Ritter criticized Congress for their avoidance and debate over climate science, calling on international examples from other countries taking larger efforts to minimize the harm being inflicted on the environment. Energy, he said, is another issue that is impacted by globalization.

“Human-caused climate change is connected to human impact on the Earth,” Ritter said.

According to Ritter, other countries and nations are looking to the United States for an example, but our legislative body is the only one still trying to argue scientifically over the issue of climate change. The U.S. is the forerunner of much of the world, so we have the power to influence green sustainability around the globe.

The leadership for green initiatives has failed to start in Congress, so it is up to the local communities to take action –– action that is motivated by the individual.

Kim Ford, an ethnic studies major at CSU, recited self-written poems at the event about finding her identity and how people can become the change they want to see in their communities.

Ford, after her demonstration, praised the TEDx event and the audience that came open-minded and willing to listen.

“Community, collaboration and sharing our knowledge is necessary for the world,” Ford said. “Don’t be greedy with knowledge.”

TEDxCSU motivated and moved its audience of more than a thousand students, faculty and community members and got people talking.

“I really liked the talk about coming up with a new battery,” said Alaska Andre from the Energy Service Corps. “They took a real world problem and approached it from the end by seeing how it impacts the environment first.”

“I thought Sanjukta Santra was the most inspiring because her opinions were very formulated and she is just so young,” said junior business and political science double major Jessie Croteau. “She was right on par with all of the other speakers, even though she was at least 15 years younger than the others.”

Discussion about the talks and the different issues presented within them echoed throughout the Lincoln Center afterward.

“I’m taking away all the possibilities. There are so many different ways to do things to make the world a better place,” said Croteau. “There is not just one way to do it.”

Collegian writer Nicolle Fagan can be reached at news@collegian.com.