Authors: The Rocky Mountain Collegian Editorial Board

As we move closer to the looming 2012 presidential election, it’s becoming clear one issue that will define the college-aged votes for candidates is student debt.

Our country faces $1 trillion in student loan debt, and today President Obama will speak at CU-Boulder about preventing 7.4 million students from seeing their loan rates double on July 1. This increase in loan rates could potentially make students rack up an additional $1,000 per year, which is not good news.

As students ourselves who will be attempting to get jobs out of college, while carrying our debt from school, we should be supporting any policy that would ease our burdens.

The issue of student debt will become an important topic over the coming months, and as students, we should be paying attention to the conversations going on. This is a crucial time for education, and we just so happen to be stuck in the middle of it.

Hopefully, as this discussion heats up, our presidential candidates will offer real solutions to this problem (like maybe stopping loan rates from increasing).

But as we have seen over and over, campaigning does not always translate to action. Promises that are made on the road to the White House are not always fulfilled.

While we follow the discourse about student debt over the coming months, we need to be ready to vote for a candidate in November who will help decrease the financial burden on students entering the workforce.