Authors: Kyle Grabowski

Jen Fisher led the CSU softball team to its first series win in conference since 2010 as the Rams took two of three games from Boise State.

CSU won the first two games 5-3, capitalizing on four total Bronco errors to produce eight unearned runs.

“We have two outs and we’re not getting out of the situation because we’re making errors,” Boise State assistant coach Sam Marder said. “Colorado State did a great job of taking advantage of those mistakes.”

The Rams hit a combined .327 Friday and Saturday while holding Boise State’s batting average under .200.

Junior Kailey Snyder improved her record to 8-0 after allowing three runs in a complete game victory Saturday.

Boise State started the game strong with a two-run homer in the bottom of the first inning from Devon Bridges, but only picked up one more run over the course of the remaining six innings.

“There was never a doubt in my mind that we were going to come back. That really settled me down,” Snyder said. “Normally in a situation like that I would be a little panicked, but with this team I had nothing to worry about.”

Sophomore catcher Emily Pohl had Snyder’s back in the bottom of the third inning, slapping a single into right field and knocking the ball out of Boise State’s catcher’s hand at the plate to get CSU on the board.

“Typically you don’t think of your catcher as a great base runner, but she’s so aggressive,” Fisher said. “She was coming hard to third and I took a risk and sent her.”

Three Boise State errors in the inning helped put the game out of reach for the Broncos.

“We need to focus and go out there and get back to the fundamentals,” Marder said. “It’s about being in position and playing the game.”

The Broncos regained their defensive sharpness in the series’ final game Sunday. They didn’t commit any errors and rocked CSU’s pitching staff for 11 runs on 14 hits.

CSU starter Kacie McCarthy gave up five runs in the top of the fifth inning after facing six batters.

“Maybe in hindsight we left Kacie in just a smidge too long,” Fisher said.

Boise State continued its offensive outburst in the sixth, scoring four more runs to put the game out of reach.

“They were extremely upset they lost that game. They could taste it in the huddle,” Fisher said. “When you’re that competitive and you care it’s gonna hurt. They’re already ready to get back after it.”

Despite the loss Sunday, CSU improved its record against Mountain West teams to 2-4, good enough for third in the conference behind Boise State and San Diego State.

CSU hits the road again Friday for a three game series in Las Vegas against MW-winless UNLV.

Softball Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

Weekend scores
Friday: CSU – 5, Boise St. – 3
Saturday: CSU – 5, Boise St. – 3
Sunday: Boise St. – 11, CSU – 7