Authors: Andrew Schaller

At the end of a tumultuous week during which it lost its coach when he left for another opportunity, the CSU club baseball team was able to finish the week on a high note, beating its rival CU-Boulder in three out of four games.

The Rams (25-19, 10-1) won their first game Friday under new coach Matt Reed, who was promoted to the position after Mike Abernathy left the team last Saturday in order to pursue a new job on the east coast.

“It feels good,” Reed said of getting the victories over the weekend. “It’s getting late in the season. You can tell some of the guys are dragging a little bit, but I thought we did a good job of focusing and getting wins.”

CSU won every game played at City Park against CU (7-19, 4-10), dropping one game at Security Service Field in Colorado Springs Saturday afternoon 6-5.

“I think we kind of got caught up in the atmosphere a little bit,” Reed said. “We had our opportunities to take the lead even in the last inning, but we just fell short.”

The Rams made the most of the opportunities they had at home, due in large part to a pitching staff that surrendered eight runs in the three games at City Park.

Freshman pitcher Alex Marshall shined in the last game of the weekend Sunday afternoon, pitching six scoreless innings en route to a two-run complete game victory.

“It really clicked today,” Marshall said after the game. “Everything came together, but I’ve always had faith going out there any game with my defense.”

Leading the offense over the weekend was third baseman Josh Ary, who went 3-for-6 in the final two games with 3 RBI.

“I’m pretty focused in,” Ary said. “I try to take it game by game, but I feel good.”

The victories give the Rams momentum going into their final four regular season games of the year against Northern Colorado next weekend.

“Those games are very important,” Ary said of the experience of playing close games against CU.

“It’s really good experience especially for these guys who haven’t been in the playoffs to see that kind of baseball, the high intensity, high focus throughout the entire seven innings,” Ary said. “It’s good to get the wins, but the experience is even better for down the road.”

Club sports Beat Reporter Andrew Schaller can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

Results
Game 1: CSU def. CU 7-3
Game 2: CU def. CSU 6-5
Game 3: CSU def. CU 4-3
Game 4: CSU def CU 9-2
Up Next: CSU vs. Northern Colorado
When: Saturday and Sunday starting at 12 p.m.
Where: City Park