Weekender Calendar 4/20/12

MUSIC:
Oakhurst CD release party with Missed the Boat
Hodi’s Half Note
Friday
8 p.m.
$10, $3 under 21
“Take a string band and swap out the fiddle player for a groovy drummer and you’re well on your way to understanding the sound of Oakhurst,” according to Hodi’s website. “The band spikes wtraditional bluegrass with rock & roll and a kamikaze rhythmic sensibility.” Admission includes a free CD.

Micky and the Motorcars with Turn 4
Aggie Theatre
Saturday
8 p.m.
$12
“Micky and the Motorcars, with their own band of Americana rock, bring an optimism and integrity a band only acquires when its been performing so long the only thing left to tell is the truth,” according to schedule.sxsw.com. “Micky and the Motorcars may be self-described as “a little rough around the edges,” but with its rocking sound, MMC shares real thoughts, is full of depth, and has a honest, raw emotion and energy bleeding through Micky’s heart straight out into the crowd.”

Tom Kimmel
Avogadro’s Number
Saturday
7:30 p.m.
$16
Tom Kimmel has released seven solo albums, published a book of poems and led songwriting workshops and classes throughout the United States and in Europe. According to Variety, he is “a talented singer-songwriter with a flair for striking images.”

World Percussion Concert
Griffin Concert Hall, University Center for the Arts
Sunday
2 p.m.
$12 for adults, $7 for CSU students and $1 for children 2 to 17
“The concert features the CSU Ragtime Band performing the 1930s era music of George Hamilton Green and the African Drum and Dance Ensemble, directed by Staci Tomaszewski, performing the music and dance of West Africa,” according to the event’s page on www.colostate.edu. “The hall will be full of energy and excitement.”

THEATER:
‘The Ladies Man’
Lincoln Center
Friday and Saturday
8 p.m. both nights, 2 p.m. matinee Saturday
$22 to $27 adults; $16 to $20 seniors, students and groups of 10 or more; $16 to $20 matinees
“To fully enjoy ‘The Ladies Man,’ you must suspend belief and remove your hat of plausibility for a zany ride,” according to a press release from OpenStage Theatre. “Charles Morey’s free-handed adaptation of Georges Feydeau’s fast-paced and frothy French farce is set in turn-of-the-century Paris. The shaggy-poodle story tells of a physician wrongly suspected of infidelity by his youthful wife. As a result, comedic confusion lurks behind every door and mistaken-identity cases multiply like mayflies.”

‘The Sound of Music’
Midtown Arts Center
Friday, Saturday and Sunday
Evening Performances:
Lounge and Bar open at 5:30 p.m.
Pre-Show begins at 7:15 p.m.
Matinee Performances:
Lounge and Bar opens at 11:30 a.m.
Pre-Show begins at 1:15 p.m.
$49 matinee, $59 evening
“The world’s best-loved musical, “The Sound of Music,” is a lavish and critically-acclaimed production telling the uplifting true story of the Von Trapp family’s flight across the mountains,” according to the Midtown Arts Center’s website. “With its unforgettable score, “The Sound Of Music” touches the hearts of all ages and brims over with some of the most memorable songs ever performed.”

‘The Importance of Being Earnest’
University Theatre at the University Center for the Arts
Friday, Saturday and Sunday
$8 for students, $18 for adults
Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m., Sunday at 2 p.m.
“First performed in 1895, ‘The Importance of Being Earnest’ is a timeless classic loved by many as one of the funniest plays ever written, with dazzling, dizzying dialogue,” according to www.beetstreet.org. “Oscar Wilde treats ‘all trivial things very seriously and all the serious things of life with sincere and studied triviality.’”

ART:
Paintings of Land and Sky: A Colorado Love Letter by Joan Mangle
Bas Bleu Theatre Company
Friday and Saturday
Friday at 12:30 p.m. and Saturday at 1 p.m.
Free
“Gallery Bleu presents Joan Mangle, whose oil paintings and giclees portray a strong connection with Colorado’s Front Range,” according to www.beetstreet.org. “She has developed a strong sense of wonder of the land, mountains and sky. She paints to capture the sublime, mysterious and epic qualities of the Colorado landscape.”

Fiber Art
Poudre Studio Artists and Galleries
Friday and Saturday
11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
“Pieces (featured in the exhibit) range from wearables, such as hats and scarves, to whimsical sculpture and even video,” according to a press release. According to Becky Hawley, Marketing Director of Poudre Studio Artist and Galleries, “Fiber art is so interesting because it takes materials that we think of as functional, and uses them in a completely different way.”

Salon des Refuses
Rendition Gallery
Saturday
6 p.m.
Free
This exhibition features work by CSU undergraduate show.

LIFE:
Tree Campus USA and Arbor Day Celebration
The Oval
Friday
10 a.m.
Free
“A tree planting event will be held on CSU’s historic Oval to celebrate CSU’s recognition as a Tree Campus USA and Colorado’s Arbor Day,” according to the event’s page on www.colostate.edu. “Student volunteers will plant 27 American elms in an effort to preserve the Oval. This is only the second supplemental planting in the Oval’s history –– the last mass planting on the Oval took place in the 1920s.”

Soul Food Gospel Fest 2012
Corbett/Parmelee Dining Center
Sunday
5 p.m.
$8.50 to $10 for adults, $6.50 to $7 for children 5 to 11 and free for children 4 and under
“Soul Food Gospel Fest 2012 will bring together more than 700 students, family, friends, Colorado State University staff and Fort Collins community members to celebrate the African American culture of gospel music and soul food,” according to the event’s page on www.colostate.edu. “Gospel choirs and praise dancers from the Fort Collins and Denver communities will be invited to perform at the event and soul food will be prepared by CSU’s Housing and Dining Staff.”

MOVIE:
Viewing of ‘The 11th Hour’ for Earth Day
Everyday Joe’s Coffee House
Saturday
Free
After CSUnity, the National Society of Collegiate Scholars is hosting a showing of “The 11th Hour” with prize drawings that include free burritos at Qdoba, a gift card to The Alley Cat and a free pizza at Celestino’s Pizza. “It’s a great way to meet members of NSCS and see what our group is about while learning about our impact on the Earth,” according to the event’s page on www.colostate.edu.