Authors: Andrew Schaller

Tonight at City Park, the CSU club baseball team will try to accomplish something it hasn’t done in over six years: win a game under a coach who isn’t Mike Abernathy.

In a four-game weekend series starting tonight, the Rams (22-19, 7-0) will play host to CU-Boulder (6-16, 3-7), a team that lost three times to CSU earlier in the year and has lost its last seven consecutive games, dating back to the end of March.

For junior first baseman Brad Spies, who grew up just outside Boulder, playing conference foe CU every year holds more significance than other regular season games.

“All of us have the same goal of just burying them into the ground,” Spies said. “It’s really important for us to play well. Especially at home in front of our home fans and everything, we really wanna take all four (games) this weekend (and) kind of make a statement to the rest of the conference and the country.”

The game marks the first nine-inning game for the Rams since April 1, and the first home conference game of the season.

Starting for the Rams will be freshman Tate Hughes, who hopes to pitch into the seventh inning even on an 85-pitch count for the night before turning the game over to the bullpen.

“I have complete faith in our bullpen,” Hughes said. “(With Harashima Takeshi) coming in and Riley (Hughes), I know they’re gonna come in and shut it down.”

The last time the Rams hit the field, they lost their first game without Abernathy at the helm, falling to Missouri 9-8.

The bitter loss leaves tonight’s game as an opportunity for CSU to earn new coach Matt Reed his first victory.

“It’ll definitely be good for coach Reed to get his first win,” shortstop Colton Duffy said on Thursday. “But I have no doubt that that’s gonna happen tomorrow night.”

In addition to the fact that they are playing host to one of their biggest rivals, the Rams have also anticipated one of their largest crowds of the year due to the fact that tonight is the only Friday night game on the schedule this year.

“It’s fun to get out here under the lights, for one, on a Friday night,” CSU pitching coach Nick Childs said. “It’s a great night for people to come out and support the team, and it should be great weather, and we’re just really looking forward to it. I think it’s gonna be a fun day.”

Club sports Beat Reporter Andrew Schaller can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

The game
Who: CU-Boulder vs. CSU
When: Tonight at 6 p.m.
Where: City Park, Fort Collins