Authors: Marcus Moritz

On Sunday, seven different films will be shown in the Behavioral Sciences building that will inform viewers how they can positively impact the world through sustainable living and the importance of being green.

“The (Sustainability) Film Festival is part of a series that we have been hosting at the city [of Fort Collins] and CSU,” said Rosemarie Russo, the coordinator for the event. “The funds are from a grant I received to help promote sustainability education and outreach.

The festival will begin at 11 a.m. in Room 131 of the Behavioral Sciences Building. The topics featured in the movies range from climate change solutions, to population growth to dirt.

The films will be shown in the following order: “Carbon Nation,” “Food Fight,” “Growth Busters,” “DIRT!,” “No Impact Man” and “Sea Change.”

“Growth Busters,” tackles the idea about human prosperity, and that maybe the problem we are facing has to do with too many people. It was also one of the selections for SOHO, New York’s International Film Festival.

“DIRT!” talks about soil and how important it is to all of society. The movie claims, “Floods, drought, climate change, even war are all directly related to the way we are treating dirt.”

The event is sponsored by the School of Global Environmental Sustainability, which is also putting on many other events this weekend and throughout the month.

“We are kicking off a month-long alternative transportation challenge so students can win great bike prizes for riding their bikes or the bus,” Russo said.

“I think Carbon Nation is the most positive sustainability movie to come out in a long time,” Russo said. “I think that will be a hit!”

Collegian writer Marcus Moritz can be reached at verve@collegian.com.

What: Sustainability Film Festival
Where: Behavioral Sciences building, Room 131
When: Sunday at 11 a.m.
Cost: Free