Letter from the editor

Authors: Sam Noblett

As a student newspaper, we are a learning institution. And part of what happens here is we learn how to create a product that finds a balance to properly serve our entire reader base.

And in doing that, we sometimes make mistakes.

In Wednesday’s column, “Screwing racism, if you know what I mean,” we missed that balance.

The balance I’m referring to is the balance between being an open forum to express our First Amendment right to free speech and being a positive member of our community.

And it has become clear to me through community response, both in writing and in person, that we harmed our community with this piece. And for that I would like to apologize on behalf of the paper.

For those of you who wonder how this column made it into print in the first place, I can tell you that as an organization, it is sometimes hard for us to see how all things will be received. And when that happens, we have to rely on our readers to let us know. And for that I would like to thank all of you who responded.

I can tell you after having known the writer for almost a year now and having had a conversation with her, the intention was not to harm. I can honestly and truthfully say that the intention was not make the community feel the way it did.

And so once again, I would like to apologize to you, our readers, for any harm or offense that may have come from our Wednesday edition.

Editor in Chief Sam Noblett can be reached at editor@collegian.com