Authors: Jason Pohl

Campus will be overrun Wednesday night by costume-clad and freebie-seeking cyclists, and it’s nowhere close to the Tour de Fat or Halloween.

What may sound like a typical weekend for some is part of a campus-wide tour and bike-in movie beginning at 6 p.m. at the Oval. From there, cyclists will head across campus to a drive-in showing of “Dumb and Dumber” near the Recreation Center at 7:30 p.m.

Costumes are highly encouraged.

“It’s going to be a fun way to celebrate alternate transportation,” said Joy Childress, a cycling program coordinator with the CSU Police Department. “This event showcases Fort Collins’ whimsical side of cycling.”

The event is part of the Earth Week celebrations across campus and a larger community effort dubbed Roll into Spring. The goal, Childress said, is to promote the city’s new Bike Ambassador Program, which aims to bring the community together and encourage biking as a primary mode of transportation for people of all ages.

“Students should attend to get a feel for how important the bicycling community is in Fort Collins and on the CSU campus,” Childress said.

Fort Collins and CSU continue to rank as one of the leading bike-friendly areas in the country, consistently earning high marks by the League of American Bicyclists. The ratings are based on a number of things including trail availability, cycling education and community outreach.

Students agreed and said the cycling culture in Fort Collins definitely sets it apart from communities across the country.

“I definitely think there’s a cycling culture here, and it’s especially obvious in the summer,” said Nick Winden, a senior finance major who goes as far as canceling his car insurance during the warm summer months. He said community outreach is key in keeping the culture moving forward.

“It just seems to make sense in Fort Collins,” he added.

For more information about volunteer bike program in Fort Collins, visit www.bpeclarimer.org.

Senior Reporter Jason Pohl can be reached at news@collegian.com.

CSU Bike Tour
Date: Today
Time: 6 p.m.
Place: Oval
What: Tour, bike-in movie.
Prizes for: Best costume, group costume, coolest bike, best facial hair and best helmet design