Authors: Kyle Grabowski

Former CSU basketball player Kim Mestdagh watched the entire WNBA Draft Monday waiting to see if her name would come up. That moment never arrived.

Only 36 players were selected during the three-hour event. The Los Angeles Sparks took Stanford forward Nnemkadi Ogwumike with the first overall pick and the New York Liberty chose Gonzaga’s Katelan Redmon with the last.

“Every time we got closer to the end I thought, ‘Maybe there’s a chance I’ll be on there,’” she said, “But I didn’t expect anything out of it, so I’m not that disappointed.”

Mestdagh worked out at the 2012 Final Four Combine in March, and has been preparing for a professional basketball career since her senior season ended.

It looks like that career will likely get started in Europe, as Mestdagh signed with the For Players agency on April 10, and they have been putting game film together of her and will begin to market her to teams abroad soon.

Before that, however, Mestdagh plans to finish her degree in Human Development and Family Studies at CSU and is on track to graduate in August. She’ll also be interning at Elderhaus in Fort Collins over the summer, spending roughly 17 hours per week there.

“The internship program gives them a chance to focus on the area of working with adults with special needs that they want to focus on,” Sandie Cogswell, the volunteer coordinator at Elderhaus said. “We’re looking forward to having her with us. She has a great deal of energy.”

Even with that opportunity, Mestdagh will still be working toward a professional basketball career.

“Hopefully I’ll sign with a team here sometime over the summer,” she said. “It’s all really exciting, but sometimes it’s kind of scary because I don’t know what’s coming.”

Though her career won’t start in the WNBA, Mestdagh wouldn’t be opposed to returning to the USA to play if the right opportunity presents itself.

“It will all depend on how my body keeps up,” she said. “I think if you get that opportunity you have to experience it at least once, so I would probably say yes.”

Women’s basketball Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

WNBA Draft By the Numbers
36 – players selected
5 – foreign players selected
3 – Tennessee players drafted in the top seven picks
0 – number of Mountain West players taken