Authors: Kyle Grabowski

The CSU lacrosse team defeated Utah 12-8 Friday night in Fort Collins, but CSU coach Alex Smith was less than thrilled with his team’s play.

“I think we went through the motions today,” Smith said. “We’re a lot better than we showed today.”

CSU led 12-5 at the end of the third quarter, but didn’t score again for the rest of the game, while Utah put three in the net in the final frame. Utah switched into a zone defense during the fourth quarter, and CSU’s zone offense was unable to work through it.

“We made them work a little longer than they would have expected after that third quarter, and overall I’m real proud of how the guys continued to work,” Utah coach Craig Morris said.

Despite Utah’s comeback attempt, the CSU sideline did not fear the game was slipping away.

“There was no concern,” CSU junior Kacy Carter said. “We took some shots and hit some pipes, but we just switched things up a bit and didn’t come out with a goal.”

Carter scored three of his game-high five goals in the first 2:03 of the second half to put the Rams up 9-2.

“When he gets the good looks that’s his job to finish,” Smith said. “Our offense is struggling right now, so we need to find ways to manufacture some goals.”

The Rams looked sharp on offense early, scoring five out of the game’s first six goals to cruise into a 6-2 lead at halftime, but slowed down significantly after Carter’s outburst, scoring only three goals over the game’s final 25 minutes.

“Our communication on offense was lackluster today, and we had opportunities that we didn’t convert on,” Carter said.

CSU has not played well in the fourth quarter this season, regularly allowing teams to come back within striking distance after they looked buried.

“It’s frustrating that we haven’t played well in the fourth quarter, but that’s the trend that continues for us,” Smith said. “We’re going to need to find an answer for that if we’re going to get where we want to get.”

One of CSU’s primary goals this season is to win the Rocky Mountain Lacrosse Conference title, and a win over Utah puts the in team in a tie for third in the conference standings heading into next week’s Rocky Mountain Lacrosse Showdown.

To get there, the team will need to find a way to generate more consistent offense.

“All that work comes in practice,” Carter said. “We need to pay within ourselves and have no one play out of their roles and we’ll be fine.”

Men’s lacrosse Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

CSU goals scored by quarter
1st – 3
2nd – 3
3rd – 6
4th – 0