Authors: Kate Simmons

Have you ever wanted a platform to reach politicians, create conversations and, in turn, change policies on a local or national level?

Well, thanks to Aidan Levy, a junior sociology major at CSU, and his new website, NewWorldPolitics.com, this could be a possibility.

On the site, visitors are welcome to anonymously submit an idea about national or local policies before it is rated and responded to by other users.

“I wanted to create a communication system that is both beneficial to the people and politicians so that both the public and leaders want to use it,” Levy said in a news release. “I wanted to create a place where there could be a constant flow of information where people can display their ideas in a friendly environment.”

Ideas can also be shared on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter.

“The goal is to create a place where great ideas can be submitted by anyone and have the chance to be implemented to create real change,” Levy added. “Whether an idea comes from a senator or from an 18-year-old, I want the idea to stand on its own merit.”

Levy said he expects the NewWorldPolitics site to provide a forum where ideas can be heard and organized by popular support. Then those ideas and input can be sent to politicians in a usable format.

“Seldom does a single voice move major decisions,” said John Straayer, a political science professor at CSU. “But if there were no voices, decision makers would be free to do whatever they wanted with no knowledge of what the people wanted.”

While one voice or one opinion rarely impacts an issue, as Straayer expained, Levy said he is trying to create an outlet that will bridge the gap between politicians and the people they represent.

“This is a real opportunity for people to have their voices heard, and a chance to explore real life solutions in a non-partisan manner,” Levy said.

Levy hopes this site will be a resource for representatives at both the state and national levels.
“[NewWorldPolitics.com] creates a direct line for individuals to petition their government officials directly, supplying government officials with a constant flow of ideas to choose from,” Levy said. “The more connected people are to the government and the laws made, the more responsive and applicable the laws will be.”

Levy expects the site to transform the job of politicians. Instead of presenting them with all the problems, this site gives the public an arena to provide solutions.

Dustin Kovac, a senior botany major, said he likes the rating system and thinks the site is a good idea, but could use some kind of filter.

“On blogs, especially political blogs, people can ramble on and on and don’t really care about other opinions besides their own, but I’d use the site,” Kovac said.
“It looks interesting.”

“Rather than giving the government a list of problems that politicians need to solve, the public can supply them with a list of solutions to choose from. This leaves less room for corruption and manipulation and allows for greater creativity and collaboration,” Levy said.

He hopes politicians can utilize the sites anonymity as well. Because all submissions are anonymous, a politician could present an idea and receive public input before committing the issue to his platform.
“[The site is] working to take out the party polarization. It allows for anyone to get an idea known and it’s purely about the idea presented not who presented it,” Levy said.

Collegian writer Kate Simmons can be reached at news@collegian.com.