Authors: Bayley Enright and Emily Kribs

Bayley Enright:

There’s a good chance you’re emerging from this weekend stocked with chocolate eggs and marshmallow chicks. And if you’re not, there’s a good chance you’ll be picking up some discount-priced Easter candy at the grocery store sometime soon.

And if you’re not planning on it, you should be. Discount Easter candy is the bomb. I recommend the Reese’s peanut butter eggs, personally. Unless you have a thing about consuming 200-something calories at once. Then go for the mini peanut butter eggs. The reason for all this, of course, being that this past weekend was Easter. Even if you didn’t celebrate it, you knew about it, right?

As far as holidays go, Easter gets a fair amount of attention. It totally stole the thunder from April 8’s other holiday, Draw a Picture of a Bird Day. Yeah, you didn’t know about that one, did you? Poor drawings of birds; they were totally neglected on their own holiday, overshadowed by eggs and bunnies.

And the bird drawings aren’t alone. So many perfectly valuable holidays have already come and gone this month, ignored by the general public.

Like April 4, which was Hug a Newsman Day. Did you hug a newsman? I didn’t, and I’ve been hoping to come across a newsman ever since in order to apologize for my ignorance. Though probably most of us did observe Tell a Lie day, which was that same day, even if our observation of that holiday was purely incidental. And what about April 1? Sure, it was April Fool’s Day and a fair amount of people were spreading rumors of engagements via Facebook, but only a few were observing International Tatting Day. You know, tatting being the skill of making delicate tatted lace.

And April 2 was National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day. Mark that one down on your calendar for next year because, of all the things that deserve a holiday, peanut butter and jelly are up there. Holidays are wonderful things, and it’s just not fair that big deal days like Easter get all the attention. So let’s start paying attention to all the little holidays that are so frequently overlooked. Starting today, with National Siblings Day. For reals. Celebrate how you please.

Unless you don’t have siblings. Then you should observe Golfer’s Day, which is also today. And if you’re not a golfer… well, never fear. There are plenty of holidays just around the corner.

Emily Kribs:

Okay, to preface: I wanted Draw a Bird Day. That’s the best holiday I’ve ever heard of. Did you even draw a bird, Bayley? I bet you didn’t. Well, I did. Evidence can be found at tinyurl.com/happy-draw-a-bird-day, and it’s awesome. (It’s not awesome, but shush.)

But, you know. Whatever. Moving on from the smoking wreckage that is my heart, let’s talk about some other holidays coming up, both for those of you who don’t celebrate Easter and for those of you not yet done celebrating.

As Bayley mentioned, today is Golfer’s Day. How is this celebrated? It takes its course on the golf course, of course! Or you can go putt-putt golfing if you’re like me and pretend the scoring system in golf is the same as it is in bowling. I’ve probably gotten closer to 300 in golf than in bowling.

Today is also National Siblings’ Day. It’s a lot like Thanksgiving, except instead of stuffing your face you have to suck it up and grudgingly be thankful for your brothers and sisters. You can show this appreciation a number of different ways, depending on the age of said siblings. You’ll note that National Siblings’ Day and Golfer’s Day are not mutually exclusive! Perhaps you can rope a younger sibling into being your caddy or something.

Tomorrow is Barbershop Quartet Day, which is the second best holiday I’ve ever heard of. Widely believed to be the most important day of the year, you can celebrate by getting together with three friends and starting up your own barbershop quartet.

The 12th is called Big Wind Day. This is unequivocally the worst name for a holiday I’ve ever heard of, but I guess they had to call it something. It’s the anniversary of the highest recorded surface wind speed on earth, which took place in 1934 near the Mount Washington Observatory. The wind went 231 miles-per-hour.

If that’s not enough, it’s also Russian Cosmonaut Day! This is the day Yuri Gagarin became the first man in space in 1961. This is, of course, a much better name for a day than Big Wind Day, so maybe this is what we should all focus on. Besides, I like earth and all but it’s not going to mind if we sort of gloss over its “Big Wind.”

April 13 is Scrabble Day, which is the point where we start realizing there’s probably a day for everything, and a thing for every day.