Authors: Allison Sylte, Erin Udell

While reports last week claim CSU Associate Professor Paul Cuddon of the university’s veterinary teaching hospital painted him as aggressive and “potentially violent,” posts on Cuddon’s Facebook present a different picture of the incident.

According to an article in the Fort Collins Coloradoan, after being fired by administrators on March 30, Cuddon reportedly made threats against himself, the hospital’s staff and police on Wednesday, leading him to be banned from campus.

Cuddon was fired for unspecified reasons, according to the report, by a university attorney in the presence of a CSU police officer. University officials wrote, in documents requesting a temporary restraining order from the professor, that Cuddon “became aggressive and hostile and was making threatening statements such as ‘You will be sorry.’”

The request went on to explain that Cuddon also gestured and moved as if he was going to attack a university official with a medical instrument that “looked like a knife or ice pick.”

However, on his public Facebook wall, Cuddon claims the supposed “ice pick” was actually a pleximeter, an instrument used in medical diagnosis, that he was attempting to remove from his clinic coat before returning it.

According to an April 5 report on the Veterinary Information Network (VIN), the VIN News Service received an email from a veterinary student who had studied under Cuddon and requested to be kept anonymous fearing “retribution by college administrators.”

“We are all looking for an explanation for why he was fired. It’s been a very strange situation indeed,” the student wrote, adding that he was frustrated with “how the CSU officials have handled this whole mess.”

“I have had nothing but positive experiences with him on clinics, and he has written letters of recommendation for me.”

The university declined to comment on the incident, citing it as a “personnel issue.”

After firing Cuddon, hospital administrators sent an email to hospital staff alerting them that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Content Managing Editor Allison Sylte contributed to this report. News Editor Erin Udell can be reached at news@collegian.com.