Authors: Kyle Grabowski

The CSU men’s lacrosse team fell into an early hole for the first time this season and couldn’t climb out in an 8-6 loss to BYU Saturday.

The Cougars scored the game’s first four goals and led 4-1 at the end of the first quarter.

“We came out with a lack of intensity or focus,” CSU attackman Austin Fisher said.

CSU found its fire in the third quarter. Trailing 7-2, the Rams scored four consecutive goals to move within one as the fourth quarter started.

“We fought hard and had one of our best third quarters of the season,” Fisher said. “It shows that we never count ourselves out.”

BYU silenced the rally in the fourth quarter, scoring an empty net goal with 59 seconds left to put the game on ice.

“We were too predictable on offense and that falls on me as a coach,” CSU coach Alex Smith said. “Six goals is not good enough.”

The lack of offense dropped CSU to fifth out of six teams in the Rocky Mountain Lacrosse Conference standings, even though it was the Rams’ first conference game.

“It’s too early to tell right now,” Smith said. “We’re all going to see each other in the conference tournament. All the seeding determines is when (you play).”

The Rams’ goal for the season is to have the top seed in that tournament, however, and one loss won’t deter them.

“We’ve seen them, we know what they do now,” Fisher said. “It’s tough to beat a team twice.”

In order to make themselves tougher to beat going forward, CSU will focus on playing a complete game rather than relying on strong halves.

“We haven’t had to come back from being down much this season, and we learned that we can do that in this game,” Fisher said. “We just have to string four complete quarters together.”

Men’s Lacrosse Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

The game
Final: BYU: 8, CSU: 6
Standings in RMLC: BYU: 4th, CSU: 5th
Up next: Friday, 4 p.m.
Where: Fort Collins