Weekender Calendar 4/6/12

MUSIC
Virtuoso Series Concert: The Borromeo String Quartet
Griffin Concert Hall, University Center for the Arts
Friday
7:30 p.m.
$12 for adults, $7 for students, $1 for youth ages 2 to 17
“The Borromeo String Quartet –– Nicholas Kitchen, violin; Kristopher Tong, violin; Mai Motobuchi, viola; and Yeesun Kim, cello –– is one of the most sought after string quartets in the world,” according to the event’s page on www.colostate.edu. The event is followed by a meet the artist reception.

This Must Be The Band with Something Juicy
Hodi’s Half Note
Friday
8 p.m.
$10 in advance, $12 day of show $5 under 21
This Must Be The Band is a Talking Heads tribute band. “Since May 2006 they have been playing to sold out crowds all over the midwest, and have recently expanded to national touring, especially in the Rocky Mountains,” according to Hodi’s website. “They are known and loved for their ability to bring Heads music alive in a new way every show.”

Wendy Woo with Key of Joy
Road 34
Friday
9 p.m.
$5
“Extremely popular with both fans and media, Wendy Woo has established herself as one of Colorado’s most requested entertainers for concerts, festivals, fairs, and private events,” according to Road 34’s website. “Having recorded nine albums, Woo draws upon a deep catalog of songs in a wide range of genres: rock, blues, folk, and jazz. Setlists can be designed for child-friendly events, for teens, for families or for a 21 crowd.”

Musketeer Gripweed featuring the Black Swans with the Congress and Lindsey O’Brien Band
Aggie Theatre
Saturday
8 p.m.
$8
“Gripweed is rambling, rolling, grooving, good times music,” according to Musketeer Gripweed’s website. “Their songs roll like the hills of the Midwest. They groove and climb like the Rocky Mountains where they are created, and they ramble like Ole Miss herself.”
Kinetix with The Indobox and pH Factor
Hodi’s Half Hote
Saturday
8 p.m.
$6 in advance, $8 day of show $5 under 21
“Dynamic. How better to describe Kinetix, a band whose most recent album Let Me In hit #47 on the iTunes Top 200 Rock Charts and yet just wrapped separate national tours with hip hop darlings Flobots and Australian roots-rock kings Beautiful Girls?” according to the band’s Facebook page. ‘‘Let Me In’ certainly plays like a byproduct of a unique career trajectory, managing to maintain a fresh approach while smoothly transitioning between energetic rock and carefully crafted pop.”

‘Improv Exotica’ with Beth Quist, Jesse Manno and James Hoskins
Avogadro’s Number
Saturday
7:30 p.m.
$10
“Decades of playing together in a variety of formats, and their versatility, creates a rich and varied palatte that can span Balkan and middle-eastern music, ethereal soundscapes, intense trance-jam and other sounds and styles from India, West Africa, Japan, Indonesia and the western world,” according to Avo’s website. “Each musician has over 20 years experience in improvisation as dance accompanists and otherwise.”

THEATER
‘The Sound of Music’
Midtown Arts Center
Friday, Saturday and Sunday
Evening Performances:
Lounge and Bar open at 5:30 p.m.
Pre-Show begins at 7:15 p.m.
Matinee Performances:
Lounge and Bar opens at 11:30 a.m.
Pre-Show begins at 1:15 p.m.
$49 matinee, $59 evening
“The world’s best-loved musical, “The Sound of Music,” is a lavish and critically-acclaimed production telling the uplifting true story of the Von Trapp family’s flight across the mountains,” according to the Midtown Arts Center’s website. “With its unforgettable score, “The Sound Of Music” touches the hearts of all ages and brims over with some of the most memorable songs ever performed.”

‘The Dinner Detective’
Midtown Arts Center
Friday and Saturday
Lounge and bar open at 5:30 p.m.
Check-in begins at 6:15 p.m.
$59
This is the largest interactive murder mystery comedy dinner show in the United States was named the “Best Dinner show” in Los Angeles and Denver. According to the Boulder Daily Camera, “Almost everyone in the room is a suspect… the detectives keep the action lively throughout the dinner!”

LIFE
Survival Secrets: Spring Break ‘Break’
Bobcat Ridge Natural Area
Friday
9:30 a.m.
“The annual Spring Break ‘Break’ at Bobcat Ridge Natural Area will feature survival secrets of various wildlife, plants and pioneers,” according to fcgov.com. “Families will travel one-mile accessible trail to the cabin, and visit with enthusiastic volunteer Master Naturalists at hands-on stations along the way.” Participants can arrive any time between 9:30 and 11:30 a.m. and should bring water, a jacket, sunscreen and snacks.

Cat Care Conference
Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Junior Lecture Hall
Saturday
8:30 a.m.
This conference, sponsored by the Veterinary Teaching Hospital, consists of various speakers presenting topics, such as “Setting the mood”: Natural Stress Busters for the Feline Pet, “How to increase your cat’s lifespan” and “Blocked cats and feline lower urinary tract disease.”

ART
Art Opening Reception: ‘Atmosphere: A Shared Space’
Clara Hatton Gallery, Visual Arts Building
Friday
5 p.m.
“This is a group show of artwork by 1st and 2nd year MFA students Rachael Kloster (drawing), Jenn Titone (painting), Maria Hettinga Duffy (printmaking) and Amy Johnson (metalsmithing),” according to the event’s page on www.colostate.edu. Refreshments will be served, and the show runs through April 18.

Tiempo Colorado: ART 342 Artists-in-residence Exhibition
Rendition Gallery
Friday
6 p.m.
Free
As part of the First Friday Gallery Walk, the Rendition Gallery is opening an exhibition of new work by ART342 SPRING 2012 Artists-in-Residence: Michelle Dickson, Kathleen Scott Moore, J. Bruno Torres and Susannah Mira, Lee Somers. The exhibition runs through April 20.

Black and White Exhibition
Center for Fine Art Photography
Friday and Saturday
11 a.m.
Free
“Susan Spiritus writes in her juror’s statement for the upcoming Black and White exhibition, ‘works, which speak to me, must have strength and power of composition; yet need to be simple and elegant. They also need to have uniqueness to them or an experimental quality…’” according to www.beetstreet.org. “Her aesthetic is evident in the fifty-one pieces she has chosen for the exhibition.”

MOVIE
Lyric Cinema Cafe
Friday
“Brazil”: 7 p.m.
“Friends with Kids”: 2:15, 4:45 and 9:30 p.m.
“Salmon Fishing in the Yemen”: 1:45, 4:15 and 6:45 p.m.
“Casa de mi Padre”: 9:15 p.m.

Saturday
“Brazil”: 7 p.m.
“Salmon Fishing in the Yemen”: 4:30 and 6:45 p.m.
“Casa de mi Padre”: 9:15 p.m.

Sunday
“Brazil”: 7 p.m.
“Casa de mi Padre”: 9:15 p.m.