Authors: Kevin Lytle

Once again Jim McElwain is going to the student body to try and fill out his roster.

A little over a month ago McElwain sent out a call for “big” men on campus who could help serve on the offensive and defensive lines. A handful of walk-ons are now part of the CSU football team following that call.

Now McElwain is looking to add special teams players to help out one of the thinnest parts of his roster. Those interested must attend an informational meeting Friday at 7 a.m. at the Coors Auditorium inside the McGraw Athletic Center.

The Rams are looking for kickers, punters and long snappers that think they could help the team.

Currently CSU has only one scholarship kicker on roster, freshman Keenan Adams. There are two other kickers that have walked on, but with no college game experience among them, McElwain is looking for as much competition as he can get.

The punter position has a set starter in Pete Kontodiakos, who has held the job for all three of his years at CSU. But he currently has no backup, something that McElwain would like to change.

Likewise, the long snapper position is held by incumbent Tanner Hedstrom, a junior, but he has no backup either.

Potential walk-ons need to be full-time students, be academically eligible and must pass a physical before taking part in any drills or tryouts.

Assistant Sports Editor Kevin Lytle can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

Special teams walk-ons
What: Informational meeting for students interested in walking onto the football team as kickers, punters and long snappers.
When: Friday, 7 a.m.
Where: Coors Auditorium, McGraw Athletic Center
Requirements: Full-time student, academically eligible, pass physical