Authors: Adam Suriel-Gestwicki

“The people heard it and approved the doctrine, and immediately practiced the contrary…” -Ben Franklin

Just as the final hours of class dawdled before spring break commenced, President Tony Frank wrote what I felt was a very eloquent and entertaining letter to the students, essentially asking us all that we have a fun and safe spring break.

He noted the importance of looking out for one another, and he said to consider that moderation was the best course of action in all the pursuits we chose to enjoy over break.

Sadly, moderation is a distant cousin of mine — I’m told I have some relation to it, but I’ve never had the pleasure of being acquainted with it.

I’m sure Tony realizes, as someone who facilitates CSU, that the student body lives in one extreme or another and does not dwell within a happy medium.

There is a reason why Tony Frank is our president, and I am just a stubborn student who should’ve heeded his advice with a little more thought before coming to a rebellious conclusion on how to spend spring break.

For the majority of break I had a grasp on my actions and was able to maintain a clear perspective on how to spend each of my days, but I do regret one day in particular.

St. Patrick’s Day.

Many days later, with the way I feel, I’m fairly certain the Irish have created this holiday as a way of revenge for years of persecution in America. Or I possibly had way too much to drink — take your pick on which theory seems more valid.

Moderation would have been a wonderful side-kick to have along during break, but instead, my alternate persona, All Action and No Thought Man, had the reins steering my actions for most of the days and late into the nights as well.

At least I wasn’t my 30-year-old friend who decided he was hot and jumped into the fountain in the heart of Old Town Square head first — an act that caused every child caressing the edge of the water with their toes to wonder why their mothers had told them they couldn’t swim as well.

Being told you look “really drunk” at midday was not an accomplishment I hoped to achieve, but I did. Having my chest pelted with glitter, so that all 11 of my chest hairs glistened vibrantly against the sun was another instance that would render the rest of the day a little differently than I had hoped to. I got asked if I was a vampire probably 50 times — just another reason to hate “Twilight.”

While this all sounds a little out there, I admit that I had fun. The days that followed are another story. I woke up with internal bruises and a strained shoulder to the point that I still can’t walk without flickering shots of pain.

My head felt as though it was trying to escape the grasps of my body, as it knew what I was in for. One thing I can tell everyone to remember: Whenever you do partake in drinking alcohol, make sure it’s accompanied with some water. I didn’t drink a single glass all day and was dehydrated for three days afterward.

Sitting in class the following Monday morning trying to remember one word from the last, as my pen hung in my hand between two numb fingers, I didn’t think I was going to make it.

But after drinking two gallons of water and taking a plethora of pain pills, I was almost back to full strength the day after.

Ben Franklin wrote about moderation while in the midst of an affair with 13 or so women. No one can really be sure, but the fact remains he got his hands dirty a little too often to be acknowledged as a man who followed his own lessons.

After St. Paddy’s Day, the sentiment that Tony presented before I was a victim of my over-indulgence seems all the more valid and useful than before I enjoyed the latter.

I can admit: I’m not a person who possesses a lot of self control, but hopefully everyone else can learn from my folly.

Adam Suriel-Gestiwicki is a junior English major. He can be reached at letters@collegian.com.