Authors: Sarah Fenton

Editor’s note: Associated Students of CSU presidential candidate Regina Martel is a current Rocky Mountain Student Media board member.

Wednesday at 6 p.m., students looking to learn more about the Associated Students of CSU presidential race can attend a formal debate held in the North Ballroom of the Lory Student Center.

Candidates John Dietrick with running mate Peter Muller will be discussing important campus issues, alongside their opponents Regina Martel and running mate Joe Eden.

The debate will be moderated by the Collegian’s Editor in Chief Sam Noblett and the Managing Content Editor, Allison Sylte.

“In the grand scheme of things I think that this debate is just another opportunity to garner new perspectives from the candidates,” said Andrew Ives, the current ASCSU elections manager.

According to Ives, the debate won’t be much different from the last informal debate that happened on the LSC Plaza March 23. The main difference with Wednesday’s planned debate is that it will be a moderated forum.

“It’s important for students to pay attention to what candidates are saying because one of those tickets will be president and vice president of ASCSU and will have a significant say in the direction of student voice next year,” Ives said.

Ives also said that the debate was a collaborative effort with student media and the LSC Event Planning Office.

Both teams reported feeling excited about the upcoming debate and excited to be able to continue student outreach with their campaign efforts.

“I’m feeling confident,” Dietrick said. “We hope to see a lot of students out supporting the whole campaign in general.”

Martel said she was excited to be able to address students again.

“It will be great for us to show our strengths and to be able to articulate that in front of an audience will be good for us to show voters what we’re all about,” Martel said.

The debate will be broadcasted live by CTV 11 and will be played throughout the voting stage, which begins April 2 and ends April 4.

ASCSU Beat Reporter Sarah Fenton can be reached at news@collegian.com.