Authors: Matt Miller

Fort Collins Police Services is reviewing a YouTube video posted on March 25 that shows a police officer shoving a man in Old Town Square Fort Collins.

After being notified of the video Monday morning, Fort Collins police Chief John Hutto has ordered a look into the circumstances surrounding the incident.

The video, titled “Fort Collins Police Dept. in Colorado arrest man for being assaulted by an officer,” shows an officer shove a man he is speaking to, and then another officer grabs the man and puts him in handcuffs.

According to an FCPS news release at 1:47 a.m. the officers were approached by the operator of a bike taxi service about damage to one of the bikes. The officers were then directed toward three men leaving the area on foot.

The officers in the video have been identified as Kyle Bendzsa and Dan Calahan. According to the news release the men involved with the incident are Matthew Robert Hefferon, Joshua Michael Cullip and Jarvis Lukeith Gullatt. None of the men are listed as students in the CSU directory.

Hefferon was cited with criminal mischief and obstructing a peace officer and released. Cullip was cited with interference and released and Gullatt was cited with obstructing a peace officer and released.

FCPS spokesmen Sgt. Jon Holsten said investigators are currently working to speak with the officers and witnesses in the video.

“A video is only part of the story –– there’s always more,” Holsten said. “We need to find out what happened before and after and when the camera pans away.”

Shortly before the video shows the officer shoving the man, the camera pans to the left, leaving the two off screen.

According to Holsten, the police department has received no formal complaint from involved parties.

“We’re always hesitant to jump to conclusions,” Holsten said.

Stay with Collegian.com for updates as the story develops.

News Editor Matt Miller can be reached at news@collegian.com.