Authors: Moonier Said

This week the Asian/Pacific American Cultural Center and the Asian Fest Organization look to bring out thought-provoking discussions and events in this year’s 29th annual Asian Fest.

For three days, events will be held in the Lory Student Center and the Ramskeller. Asian Fest will kick off on March 26 with a talk on higher education by former president of Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education Mike Segawa at 1 p.m. Luoluo Hong, vice chancellor for student affairs at the University of Hawaii, will also have a discussion on intersectionality at 5 p.m.

“We really want people to be able to come to events with open minds and a willingness to learn or experience something new,” said Annika Firn, Asian Fest committee director.

March 27 will highlight the musical arts as the folk band Oak & Gorski, who have sold more than 30,000 albums, play a live performance at the Ramskeller at 6 p.m.

Poet Jenny C. Lares will have a spoken word performance March 28 at noon. The event also includes a workshop that focuses on developing one’s voice as a tool for community empowerment and social change.

Senior journalism major Natasha Pepperl is in charge of marketing Asian Fest online and on Facebook.

“We want everyone to know that the events are free and open to the whole community as an educating and entertaining celebration of Asian culture,” Pepperl said.

The festival will end March 28 with a talk at 4 p.m. by global nomad Dennis Fryer, who will talk about the cultures he encountered in his travels.

Asian Fest started 29 years ago with the mission of bringing awareness to CSU’s campus and to promote interests, insights and new understandings of people and cultures.

For more information on the events and their specific locations go to, http://www.apacc.colostate.edu/asianfest.

Collegian writer Moonier Said can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Who: Prominent members of the Asian community
What: 29th annual Asian Fest
Where: LSC, Engineering Building and A/PACC cultural office
When: March 26-28