Authors: Kevin Lytle

On the day that spring practice began, it was learned that Fort Collins Police Services are investigating a fight involving three CSU football players.

Offensive lineman Ty Sambrailo, linebacker Mike Orakpo and defensive end Nordly Capi fought a group of people who had been kicked out of a party, as first reported by the Fort Collins Coloradoan.

Sambrailo, a sophomore, sustained a knife wound that required 14 staples to the back of his shoulder. Orakpo, a junior, was cut on the thumb and Capi, also a junior, was cut on the wrist.

“Right now, we’re aware of it, but until there’s a police report or an incident report there’s really nothing we can do,” coach Jim McElwain said following Wednesday’s practice. “We’ve talked to the parties involved and feel really good about both what the police have said and obviously what the kids have said.”

The party took place near Harmony and Taft Hill Roads. McElwain said the injuries sustained by Sambrailo prevented him from fully participating in practice. The other two were not limited.

“I feel the way we handled it was the correct way, yes,” Orakpo said. “I’m also apologetic that we even put ourselves in that situation.”

Sambrailo and Capi were not available to comment because they are not on the list of players that McElwain allows to speak to media.

Nobody has been arrested and no criminal charges have been filed.

Assistant Sports Editor Kevin Lytle can be reached at sports@collegian.com.