Authors: Kyle Grabowski

The CSU lacrosse team won the opening face-off, scored the game’s first goal 1:20 later, and never looked back in a 20-1 romp over Washington.

CSU won its ninth consecutive game to start the season, while Washington dropped its eighth straight following a season-opening win.

Washington didn’t get a shot off until nearly 11 minutes had passed in the game, at which point CSU lead by four.

“It’s always a subliminal goal in the back of our minds to score first and get the momentum,” junior attacker Austin FIsher said.

Fisher scored two of the team’s first four goals, and finished the game with three goals and an assist.

Overall, 12 different Rams scored in the game, perfectly illustrating coach Alex Smith’s emphasis on team play.

“We didn’t have a guy score eight goals, but we had a lot score two or three and that’s who we want to be,” Smith said. “Having that balanced scoring is a part of who we are.”

CSU built a 10-0 lead by halftime, and used nearly its entire bench over the course of the second half. Smith estimated that the team played around 60 percent of the game without its regular starters.

“When we’re working in all of the guys, you mesh with different guys, and I think at the end of the day it comes down to playing well with each other,” Fisher said.

Washington scored its only goal of the game with 10:51 remaining in the fourth quarter on an unassisted blast from junior Chris Brown.

Smith wasn’t phased by the loss of the shutout.

“It’s almost better that they did (score) in some ways,” he said. “(Washington) played hard and shutouts in lacrosse are not good form.”

Washington has struggled with injuries this season and had two more players leave the field Wednesday night. Freshman Justin Hand needed to go to the hospital after the game due to a hip injury he suffered with 7:09 remaining in the third quarter.

“He got caught on the net and tore it,” Washington coach Stewart Kerns said. “He said he heard his hip just pop.”

Even with a game against No. 4 Cal Poly looming Friday, CSU showed no signs of looking ahead, playing ruthlessly efficient and dominating possession all night.

“That game came down to using our depth and working in all of our players, which really kept us focused,” Fisher said. “We want to get through all of our sets and use it as a time to build.”

With a win over Washington behind them, the Rams will look ahead to Cal Poly, a team that has a 6-1 record so far behind reigning MCLA player of the month Scott Herberer.

“They probably have the best attack we’ll see,” Smith said. “We’re very similar in a lot of ways. It’s sure to be an entertaining game and we’re looking forward to the competition.”

Men’s lacrosse Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

By the Numbers
CSU goals: 20 (season high)
Players scoring: 12
Time before Washington scored: 45:49