Authors: Seth Stern

During the 2008 presidential campaign, the perpetual hypocrite and eventual victor promised to put an end to his predecessor’s unconstitutional acts. He also criticized the outgoing president for starting a war in Iraq and made clear he would stick to his ultra-liberal-cum-pacifist roots of avoiding new wars.

It’s far from a recent revelation that the man elected to the Oval Office in 2008 meant none of the things he promised during the campaign, with the exception of leaving military force on the table as a possible tactic for dealing with Iran’s nuclear ambitions.

What has become obvious is the substantive differences between Dubya and Clown Zero are nil. And the young voters in this country had better take notice, as the country is truly on the edge of a precipice that another mainstream Republican or Democrat cannot and will not avoid.

The difficulty in breaking away from indoctrination is typically mitigated by recognizing the forces responsible for your understanding of the world had their own self-interest at heart. I’m no different. I want to see a country of independent, free-thinking individuals working together to improve their lives.

Instead what’s been revealed is that we are a divided population of ignorant and partisan fools who believe what the parties tell us about their own actions. The heroes of our generation are not the politicians of one party standing up to the other, as the left would have you believe of Zero and the right would claim of Santorum; our heroes are the individuals who recognize corruption and ignorance and attempt to expose it as such.

Bradley Manning didn’t reveal a single piece of data that could serve as intelligence. He exposed the hypocrisy, back stabbing, cover-ups and illegal acts of the federal government. Yet somehow he’s on the hook as a traitor? Personally I think the watchdogs turned lapdogs in the national press who have wholly capitulated their responsibility to lay bare this information are more accurately the traitors.

Zero stated definitively he would not use signing statements if elected, yet he has continued to go directly against his promise and recently made all U.S. resources subject to the control of the president. Charming bastard, wasn’t he?

As senator, he said of raising the debt ceiling for Dubya, “The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure,” he said. “It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance
from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. … Leadership means that ‘the buck stops here.’ Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit.”

What has he done since taking office? Certainly nothing to indicate the buck is stopping there. He’s taken responsibility for the effects of his agenda with all the grace of an epileptic throwing lawn darts in a dog show.

Now the current puppet of Goldman Sachs has ordered another carrier into the Arabian Sea, bringing the total to three. In addition, the war propaganda and rhetoric against Iran compared to pre-invasion Iraq are nearly identical, except the Israelis may very well just go ahead and handle this one on their own. Their security cabinet voted 8-6 last week to attack Iran.

Now a story has emerged indicating Yemeni journalist Abdulelah Haider Shaye is being detained as a favor to the current U.S. presidential administration, due to his relentless exposure of the U.S. hand in the deaths of thousands of Yemeni women and children.

Zero used military force and assets in Libya and cited international law as the legal precedent –– as opposed to Congress, as the Constitution requires. He seems bent on war with Iran and has continued to refuse to order investigations into the individuals responsible for the banking collapse, and now he’s involved in the foreign detention of journalists exposing U.S. involvement in war crimes.

When I remember what was said and done in the 2008 election, I remember the youth voters turning out in droves to support what was purportedly the end of corruption in D.C. What we got was nothing different from the demonstration put on by the Republican Party, which was correctly identified as horrendous.

It’s time to throw the Baby Boomers out with the bath water. They’re destroying any future we have left. You want real change in D.C.? You need to find someone outside the mainstream of both parties and donate.

S. Jacob Stern wishes his friend Gary Ludwigsen a speedy recovery. His column appears Mondays in the Collegian. He can be reached at letters@collegian.com.