2012: The Doomsday Theory

Authors: Anna Palmer

As 2012 swings into full gear, a sense of uneasiness may be on the rise for some people. The long-awaited date, December 21, 2012, draws ever closer each day, causing some people to begin preparing for this so called “end of the world”.

“Doomsday Preppers”, a new series produced by National Geographic, now catalogs the lives of otherwise ordinary Americans as they prepare for the end of the world, as they believe it will happen. Their strategies include gathering superfluous amounts of food, toning survival and weaponry skills, as well as becoming self-sufficient, according to National Geographic.

As crazy as this may sound to most, this is very much a reality for these Americans. And with all that has been going on over the past decade: wars, genocide, violence, plagues, natural disasters, just to name a few; these “preppers” may really be onto something.

Some “doomsday” theorists back their viewpoint with what they claim to be scientific evidence. Some of this fear revolves around the belief that “Planet X” or “Nibiru” is about to enter the inner solar system and interfere with the earth’s orbit, says David Morrison, the Senior Scientist of the NASA Astrobiology Institute.

Speculators claim that the effects would be catastrophic, resulting in a pole shift as well as severe natural disasters, according to Stephen Wagner, paranormal investigator and author.

These dubbed “conspiracy theorists” claim that this threatening planet was discovered by the ancient Mesopotamians and known to the Mayas as well, Morrison says. These theorists may have developed this theory from the late Zecharia Sitchin, author of The Twelfth Planet, which stirred up a great deal of controversy in 1976. In his book, he writes his personal translation of ancient Sumerian texts, which told the story about the origins of humans, according to Wagner.

Sitchin referred to the planet Nibiru as the planet from which the race of beings called the Anunnaki came from. According to his translation, the Anunnaki came to Earth about 450,000 years ago in search of gold. They began to mine Earth’s gold and around 300,000 years ago, they decided to create a race of workers by genetically manipulating the primates on Earth, according to Wagner. The result was Homo sapiens; humans. Eventually, the Anunnaki handed over rulership to the humans and left Earth.

Nibiru speculators have taken this translation to mean that this planet and its inhabitants may be returning. They insist that NASA is tracking Nibiru but is keeping this information private as part of a worldwide conspiracy, Morrison says. NASA even has an “Ask an Astrobiologist” website, run by Morrison, who answers the public’s questions about life in the universe. He has received hundreds of messages regarding the supposed planet Nibiru.

Despite the influx of fearful questioning from the public, NASA has denied all doomsday theories including the existence of Nibiru, cosmic alignments, solar storms, flipping of the poles or cosmic impacts. “There are no known near-Earth objects in 2012 that present a credible risk to Earth,” says Don Yeomans, manager of NASA’s Near-Earth Object program.

“When none of this happens, I hope they’ll realize that they [Nibiru theorists] need better tools to distinguish fact from fiction,” Morrison says.