Meryl Streep: A review

Authors: Emily Luft

I wish I could say I was a movie buff, but that would definitely be a lie. I’m not a movie buff or a film fanatic. I appreciate the art of film, but I prefer the brevity of television. I love the way 20-minute episodes are torn apart by flashy commercials. That isn’t sarcasm, that’s how I legitimately feel.

With television, the longest it can go is an hour with commercials. My 21st-century attention span is shot, so sitting through something that’s two hours long is torture. Popcorn becomes coping mechanism. A “Lord of the Rings” movie marathon is my personal hell.

But that’s not to say I never watch flicks — it’s just a special occasion kind of deal. I sort of have this catalog of 10 or so movies that I just watch over and over instead of branching out. “Mean Girls,” “Lost in Translation,” etc. Honestly though, I usually don’t stray too far beyond “The Blues Brothers.”

But there are exceptions — Meryl Streep being one of them. I can watch her movies no matter how long or how boring, because she’s a genius. I’ll go see every movie she ever makes in the future. That is a promise. I wish I could say I’ve seen them all, but Netflix refuses to stream some of them, so I’m a bit behind. “Marvin’s Room” is up next.

Meryl Streep has aged gracefully, and has proven that she can maintain the quality of her career through her middle age into her later life. I can respect that. No Joan Rivers plastic surgery, no drug rehab. Quality lady. I appreciate her sense of humor, her attitude and her humility. She knows she’s the best. She knows everyone else knows she’s the best. But she is still humble.

I mean, she’s essentially been nominated for everything she’s ever touched. I went onto the Internet Movie Database and was going to list the number of awards she got, but it was close to 200 nominations, and I got stressed out. I think it’s become like a rule in Hollywood that Meryl is always in the list of nominees, even if she didn’t make a movie. One day they’ll run out of “Transformers” sequels, and they’ll just end up re-showing “The Devil Wears Prada.”

Madame Streep just pulled in a Golden Globe and an Oscar for her portrayal of Margaret Thatcher in “Iron Lady.” She hadn’t won an Oscar since “Sophie’s Choice.”

Now I saw “Iron Lady,” and I had high expectations. I was looking forward to the Maggie Thatcher voice and the hair. She did great of course … I mean, she literally transformed into the late-in-life old lady Thatcher, but the movie didn’t do much for me. The editing … there were just so many flashbacks! I would skip it and go straight to the DVD section and pick up a copy of “Doubt” (GREAT for drinking games. Take a shot every time they talk about fingernails).

In the spirit of my appreciation for all things short and sweet, here is all you need to know about her movies that I’ve seen:

“Manhattan” — The only Woody Allen movie I can stomach.

“Kramer vs. Kramer” — Made divorce seem hip.

“Sophie’s Choice” — When you find out what Sophie is choosing, you get why she won an Oscar.

“Out of Africa” — Long.

“She-Devil” — Roseanne is in this one. I’m serious.

“The Bridges of Madison County” — Meryl Streep gets groped by Clint Eastwood. He has a lot of
neck skin. It’s romantic, but horrifying.

“Dancing at Lughnasa” — The movie poster says it all.

“Adaptation” — I’m ashamed to say it, but Nicholas Cage was in a good movie.

“The Hours” — Sad. But not “Sophie’s Choice” sad.

“A Prairie Home Companion” — No.

“The Devil Wears Prada” — Yes.

“Mamma Mia”— The winner takes it alllllllll.

“Doubt” — This is my favorite movie. You have to watch it. Brilliant. But Meryl Streep’s character is terrifying. She looks like a dinosaur in her nun-gear. “Cut your FINGERNAILS!!” You’ll understand if you see it.

“Julie and Julia” — Her Julia Child voice is pretty much the same as her Iron Lady voice.

“Iron Lady” — If you are into flashbacks, this movie is for you.