Events calendar for 3/2/12

Authors: Courtney Riley

MUSIC:
Portland Taiko
Lory Student Center Main Ballroom
Friday
5:30 p.m.
Free
Taiko is an ancient for of oriental drumming with roots in classical Japanese theater and ritual. “The Portland Taiko group has received praise from various prestigious publications, including ‘The Washington Post,’” according to the event’s page on colostate.edu. “The energy that they bring to each and every performance rivals that of such Vegas shows as Blue Man Group and Cirque de Soleil.”

Chamber Choir and Concert Choir
Griffin Concert Hall, University Center for the Arts
Friday
7:30 p.m.
$12 adult, $7 student, $1 youth
Directed by James Kim, the Chamber Choir performs works by Daniel Pinkham, Morten Lauridsen and Randall Stroope. The Concert Choir is directed by Ryan Olsen and performs “selections from the standard choral repertoire alongside newly composed pieces that contemplate war and a peaceful aftermath,” according to the event’s page on colostate.edu.

“This One’s For Jimmy” hosted by LYRICS BORN with Are You Serious, QBala and J.O.B.
Hodi’s Half Note
Friday
8 p.m.
$10, $3 under 21
Lyrics Born, a Japanese American rapper, record producer, songwriter and voice over announcer, is hosting “This One’s For Jimmy,” in memory of Jimmy Hands.

Jesse Turner
Lucky Joe’s Sidewalk Saloon
Friday
9 p.m.
Jesse Turner is a former Fatty Jenkins member “sings like a lark, plays guitar and piano and downright entertains like everyone should,” according to Lucky Joe’s website.

Whiskey Blanket with Otem Rellik, Brain Damaged Geeks and WileD Wombat
Aggie Theatre
Saturday
8 p.m.
Free
Whiskey Blanket, hailing from Boulder, has been making music since the summer of 2003. It consists of three members, including Steakhouse (producer, emcee and turntablist), Funny Biz (emcee, beatboxist and cellist) and Sloppy Joe (emcee and violinist).

Shakedown Street with Papagoya
Mishawaka Amphitheater
Saturday
8 p.m.
$10
“One of the longest running Grateful Dead tribute bands in the world, Shakedown Street, makes its home in and around the Rocky Mountain region of North America,” according to Mishawaka’s website. “Spawned from jam sessions at the Ancient Mariner bar in Manitou Springs, Colo. in 1987, Shakedown Street quickly grew in popularity, and garnered a legion of loyal fans who refer to themselves as ‘Shakeheads.’”

Los Lonely Boys
Lincoln Center
Sunday
$25 to $29
“After becoming one of the most stunning musical success stories of the last decade, Grammy-Award Winning Los Lonely Boys are back with their fourth studio album, ‘Rockpango,’” according to the Lincoln Center’s website. “Playing a style of music they call Texican Rock n’ Roll that combines elements of rock and roll, blues, soul, country and Tejano, the group’s influences range from Stevie Ray Vaughan to Santana and Willie Nelson.”

THEATER:
OpenStage Theatre’s ‘Othello’
The Lincoln Center
Friday and Saturday
8 p.m.
$14 tonight for FAB Friday, $16 to $27 Saturday
“In his thrilling story of ‘Othello,’ the noble Moor who loved not wisely but too well, Shakespeare creates a tragedy of a love destroyed by jealousy,” according to the Openstage Theatre and Company. “In his most intimate tragedy, Shakespeare constructs a highly charged tale of prejudice, revenge and the destruction of innocence.” The show, put on by the Openstage Theatre, is playing at the Lincoln Center through March 18.

‘Trying’
Bas Bleu
Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m., Sunday at 2:30 p.m.
$22 Regular, $17 senior, $12 student, $10 youth and $15 matinee
Joanna McClelland Glass’ “Trying” is based on her own experience in the 1960s.
“Trying shares how a 25-year-old girl and her employer –– a feisty, aristocratic, octogenerian judge –– manage to bridge the generation gap,” according to Bas Bleu’s website.

‘Avenue Q’
Midtown Arts Center
Friday and Saturday: lounge and bar opens at 5:30 p.m., dinner seating at 6 p.m. Discounted Sunday matinee: lounge and bar opens at 11:30 a.m., dinner seating begins at noon
$49-$59
This Tony Award winner tells the story, using both people and puppets, of Princeton, a recent college grad who moves to an apartment in New York. According to Variety magazine, “Of all the musicals hatched in the post-2000 age of irony, Avenue Q has remained the freshest and funniest.”

‘Anything Goes’
Candlelight Dinner Playhouse
6 p.m. evening shows, 12:30 p.m. matinees
$29.50 to $60
Cole Porter’s Tony Award-winning classic “Anything Goes” is about a mess of mistaken identities amongst a gangster, wealthy debutante, nightclub singer and a rich businessman who board a transatlantic ship. Tickets include dinner, show and taxes, and beverages and dessert are extra.

‘The Four of Us’ and ‘Gruesome Playground Injuries’
Second Floor Acting Lab, University Center for the Arts
Friday and Saturday 8 p.m., Sunday at 2 p.m.
Free
The Young Producers Organization presents Itmar Moses’ “The Four of Us” and Rajiv Joseph’s “Gruesome Playground Injuries.” The two plays are directed by CSU theatre major Jeff Garland.

ART:
Jan-Ru Wan: ReMaterialization/ReMemory
Lincoln Center
Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday noon to 6 p.m.
Jan-Ru Wan’s colorful fiber constructions are on display in the Lincoln Center until March 3.
“Wan’s education in Taoism and Buddhism have deeply influenced her world view leading her to seek the essential human being through her art,” according to the Lincoln Center’s website. “Multi-layered constructions in fiber express the relationship between individual cultural tensions and universal balance and harmony experienced by all humanity.”

Chihuly Venetians: From the George R. Stoemple Collection
Fort Collins Museum of Art
Friday
10 a.m.
$8 adults, $6 students/seniors
According to the event’s website, “this exhibit will showcase over 45 works from Chihuly’s most innovative and unusual series that was inspired by Art Deco Venetian art glass from the 1920’s and 1930’s.” The main attraction of the exhibit is the “Laguna Murano Chandelier,” a five-piece structure made of 1,500 separate pieces of glass. Two pieces of the chandelier hang from the ceiling and three come up from the floor.

Hawaiian Quilts: God in Expression
Avenir Museum of Design and Merchandising, the University Center for the Arts
Friday
11 a.m.
Free
This exhibit features Hawaiian quilts from the Henry and Angela Hite Collection, with Elizabeth Akana as the guest curator. “Originally brought to the islands by New England missionaries, Hawaiian appliqué quilts are unique for their ‘snowflake’ designs,” according to the event’s website. “Imbued with the myths and traditions of the native Hawaiian population and references to the plant life and mythology of the islands, Hawaiian quilts are among the most visually striking of all quilt designs.”

Christopher Capozziello’s ‘The Distance Between Us’
The Center for Fine Art Photography
Saturday
11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and 6 to 9 p.m.
According to beetstreet.org, “Christopher Capozziello believes that there is a ‘redemptive quality to photography; that it can take the unpleasant or repulsive and make it beautiful, not by misleading anyone, but by allowing the viewer to stop and take a deeper look at the subject.’” His work titled “The Distance Between Us” tells the story of his twin brother’s fight with cerebral palsy.

LIFE:
Couples’ dance lessons
Sundance Steakhouse and Saloon
Friday
7:15 to 8:15 p.m.
$5
Wear comfortable shoes and learn the two step, west coast swing, waltz, east coast swing, cha-cha, night club two step, polka, cowboy cha-cha and the triple two with Chad and Karen, Open Division I dancers in the United Country Western Dance Council circuit. All levels are welcome.

CSU Serves
Locations throughout Fort Collins
Saturday
8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
“CSU Serves is an opportunity for Registered Student Organizations to participate in community service on Saturdays throughout the academic year in exchange for funding for their organization,” according to the event’s page on colostate.edu. “Organizations will be provided with a service opportunity and will earn $10 per volunteer that they provide.” There will also be a Service Saturday on March 31 and April 7. To register your student organization, contact Brett Rundle, Program Coordinator in SLiCE, at brett.rundle@colostate.edu.

MOVIE:
Lyric Cinema Cafe
Friday
‘A Separation’: 6:15 p.m.
‘The Artist’: 2, 4:15, 6:45 and 9 p.m.
‘The Descendants’: 4 and 8:45 p.m.

Saturday and Sunday
‘A Separation’: 1:30 and 6:15 p.m.
‘The Artist’: 2, 4:15, 6:45 and 9 p.m.
‘The Descendants’: 4 and 8:45 p.m.