Authors: Lydia Jorden

I learned a lot at CSU, but if there’s anything that was cemented in my mind as most important it’s this: Be comfortable with the people you’re living with. These people will directly dictate your study, sleeping and partying habits with their mouse-like or overbearing behavior.

Sure, this sounds like an easy task, and I know you’re thinking that you’re the easiest person to live with. But finding the perfect roomies isn’t as simple as it sounds. When you put a carefree hippie with a security conscious, lock-down savvy individual, you have a lot moving against you.

Finding the right person to live with takes time, so start early and as I’ve learned (twice), have a backup plan when that seemingly seamless roomie bails on you. For it’s that time of the year filled with people falling through on commitments while you are left to quickly scramble to find a suitable roommate and apartment.

But what do you do when you’ve been planning to live with a certain person and things go down the chute? You start searching in malls, online dating sites and you might even hit roommate round-up that occurs on March 28 and April 3 from 5 to 6 p.m. in Room 208 of the Lory Student Center.

However, I will admit that my old roommate and I went about this daunting task a different way to find our perfect roommate.

Our roommate roundup trip went fine. We introduced ourselves as complete nerds who want nothing to do with partying, everything to do with studying and maybe a few beers in-between quiet hours. Strangely enough, people were interested. Who knew that others like us existed? We kept a few names in mind but no one stuck out to us as the perfect roommate.

This type of situation is very likely to occur. I find it easy to allocate who I want to live with based on a simple strategy of separating my new acquaintances into a three-tier hierarchy: 1. Just about as tolerable as shaving your dad’s back, 2. That feeling you get when you realize your best friend hates Celine Dion, and 3. The tingly sensation that arises from thoughts of kissing Matthew McConaughey (which clearly indicates a favorable “move-in-with-me –now-goddamnit” decision).
Most people I meet fall into tier 1, which means I avoid them at all costs. Finding a person at tier 2 and 3 caliber takes skill, but mostly luck.

My current roommate, Ali, and I found our perfect gal as we drove into Starbucks a hot Sunday morning two summers ago. We blasted “My Heart Will Go On” and sang along in an effort to distinguish the haters from the lovers, and thus move closer to narrowing our decision to find our third roommate. The individual we planned to meet there was sitting outside, wearing a flattering red shirt.

It’s not a good idea to judge others on their style. But we found if we did this, we had a higher chance of being able to essentially own two closets. Score!

Good conversation is a must when understanding your new roommate. I hear the phrase, “I’m not renting a friend, I’m renting a room” pretty frequently, but if you just so happen to get both (without paying the fees of a dating site), then I suggest you put this on your list of things to be thankful for.

But finding common ground when each person in the scenario has their judge eyes on is quite difficult. However, get on the same page by talking about your affinity for sexy professors. Describe how when you look into so and so’s eyes, you feel like you want to throw your pre-med degree out the window for just a chance to take another liberal arts course with Professor Dreamy.

After all, if you can’t be yourself around your future roommate without judgments passed, then they are no longer a contender in your pool of candidates.

When the person you plan to live with doesn’t appreciate your love for Dr. Dreamy, you have to start considering how to make finding a solo apartment work. Studio apartments provide the perfect quaint space. These studio-type apartments are relatively inexpensive and provide enough space to wine and dine, sleep but most-likely, party alone.

If that doesn’t work, there’s always Clark A…oh wait, you probably want heat in your apartment. In that case, take your life to the Alley Cat where you will be provided with a comforting area, delicious beverages and entertainment to the fullest extent.

Regardless of what happens in your location and roommate searching extravaganza for the summer, just remember that when things seem to go wrong, they usually turn out for the better. So get out to the malls, establish your presence on a dating site, enroll with that sexy professor and get on the road to a decent place with great people.

Lydia Jorden is a junior business major. Her column runs Thursdays in the Collegian. She can be reached at letters@collegian.com.