Authors: Allison Sylte

I’ve always had this vision of spring break being a blissful week filled with volleyball in the sun, margaritas and my fake British boyfriend giving me back rubs under a palm tree.

However, my past spring breaks have taught me this is nothing more than a dream, that instead, it’s a week destined to be spent working, wistfully watching episodes of “Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations” and being yelled at by my family for leaving my nasty tennis shoes in the house.

But this year, it’s gonna be different. I’m going to Moab with my life partners from the Collegian, and in honor of our time together, I’ve crafted the ultimate spring break playlist.

Do with it what you will, my faithful readers, but be warned: it might cause you to get yo’ groove on uncontrollably. And I will not be liable for the consequences.

“This Will Be An Everlasting Love,” by Natalie Cole

You’ve heard it in “The Parent Trap.” It was in the credits of “The Holiday.” It was to this song that Visual Managing Editor Greg Mees and I first fell in love to while I was smacking him in the face and driving 100 miles an hour in the middle-of-nowhere Wyoming.

In a nutshell, it’s the perfect jam for compulsively snapping your fingers and singing in a high-pitched voice. In other words, it’s the perfect song for spring break. Duh.

“I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles),” by the Proclaimers

For those of you who don’t compulsively watch “How I Met Your Mother,” let me hit you with some mad knowledge. This song is the only song that plays in Marshall’s car, and as a result, was the soundtrack to Marshall and Ted’s long road trips. And now, it will be part of the soundtrack to your road trip.

“Life is a Highway,” Rascal Flatts

I usually hate Rascal Flatts with a flaming passion. The lead singer looks like an elf, and because I’m shallow (as evidenced by the tremendously attractive mug that accompanies my columns), I just can’t get past that. But this song is ballin’, yo.

“Comin’ into Los Angeles,” Arlo Guthrie.

But only if you’re going to Los Angeles. And only if you have a trunk full of illegal narcotics.

“Drive,” Incubus

This was totally the soundtrack to my middle school years. And it has the word “Drive” in the title. Get it?

“Get Low,” Lil Jon and the Eastside Boyz (featuring the Ying Yang Twins)

This is the perfect song to blast with your windows down, as you cruise through the suburbs in your Toyota Matrix. Props if you know all the lyrics. Not like I do. Just kidding, I totally do. My parents must be so proud.

“(I’ve Had) the Time of My Life,” Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes

This is for your drive home, when you and all of your friends are annoyed with each other and need to rediscover that Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey-esque magic.

“Celebration,” Kool and the Gang

This isn’t just for Bar Mitzfah’s and weddings anymore people.

“Folsom Prison Blues,” Johnny Cash

This is for those of you who might do something on the wrong side of the law over spring break. It’s alright: prison isn’t as bad as it seems.

“Jesus Take the Wheel,” Carrie Underwood

For those of you who want to explore your spirituality over break after your run-ins with the law.

“It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp,” Three 6 Mafia

Self-explanatory.

Content Managing Editor Allison Sylte is a junior journalism major. She’s set to have a delightful spring break having a strange, spiritual experience in the desert of Moab with her life partners from the Collegian.