Authors: Erin Udell

If asked at the start of this past fall semester about my general college experience, I would describe it as typical, classic and, most of all, good.

I would have also probably said I was ready to leave, to move on and start my post-grad life.

Fast forward six months to right now –– almost half way through my final semester at CSU –– and you’d see a completely different person.

With graduation looming, I have become a mere shell of myself –– one who has taken to holding back tears at the transit center after realizing I won’t be just another college student waiting for the bus in a couple months, or one who drives past campus on Laurel Street while looking off wistfully and saying ‘I wish I went to the Oval more often.’”

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had my fair share of college experiences. I’ve gone to football games. I’ve lost my phone, and dignity, after blacking out in Old Town. I’ve even worn a Snuggie in the Corbett dining hall after losing a bet.

But, it wasn’t until several weeks ago that I realized I’ve yet to do something so integral to the typical college experience that it’s almost expected. I’ve never gone on a real spring break.

It had never really occurred to me to go anywhere. So, for the most part, I spent my past three spring breaks sitting on the futon in my mom’s basement watching MTV’s coverage of the sacred event in between shifts at my seasonal lifeguard job.

I’m not sure if it was because of my depressed senior status, or the drunken promise I made at a dinner party, but before I knew it, my spring break plans were ultimately set, and I was map questing directions to a place I’d never even thought of going: Moab, Utah.

The suggestion came from our Content Managing Editor Allison Sylte, and soon, two other co-workers jumped on board.

Since our decision, we’ve all sat back and stared at Ali in fear as she excitedly described the 10-mile hikes and four-night camping trip she’s planned. And while my first thought was obviously, “Oh dear God, I have made a terrible mistake,” I started to warm up to the idea of the trip.

After all, when people start telling me their spring break stories from college, I don’t want to be the one who can only chime in with, “Oh yeah, the YMCA is so crazy over breaks. The water exercise classes get so big we need two lifeguards!”

I want to be able to look back fondly on college and say I did everything I thought I would – that, once, my friends and I packed up my tiny car and drove to the desert for a real spring break.

News Editor Erin Udell is a senior journalism major. She is probably going to Moab and never coming back. Or if she does come back, she will only have one arm.