Authors: Alex Higgins

Jan. 22 marked the 39th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court case that legalized abortion in the United States. It is with hope that we compose this article –– hope that, as President Reagan stated, “America will preserve God’s greatest gift,” the gift of life ,which is too often immorally stripped from the millions of innocent lives lost every year to abortion. Below is an excerpt from an address Ronald Reagan gave to the National Religious Broadcaster Convention on Jan. 30, 1984 in Washington, D.C.

“I know what I am about to say now is controversial, but I have to say it. This nation cannot continue turning a blind eye and a deaf ear to the taking of some 4,000* unborn children’s lives every day, one every 21 seconds.

We cannot pretend that America is preserving her first and highest ideal, the belief that each life is sacred, when we’ve permitted the deaths of 15 million* helpless innocents since the Roe v. Wade decision –– 15 million children who will never laugh, never sing, never know the joy of human love, never strive to heal the sick or feed the poor or make peace among nations. Abortion has denied them the first and most basic of human rights. We are all infinitely poorer for their loss.

This nation fought a terrible war so that black Americans would be guaranteed their God-given rights. Abraham Lincoln recognized that we could not survive as a free land when some could decide whether others should be free or slaves. Well today, another question begs to be asked: How could we survive as a free nation when some decide that others are not fit to live and should be done away with?

I believe no challenge is more important to the character of America than restoring the right to life to all human beings. Without that right, no other rights have meaning. ‘Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not, for of such is the kingdom of God.’

I’ve asked for your all-out commitment, for the mighty power of your prayers, so that together we can convince our fellow countrymen that America should, can, and will preserve God’s greatest gift.”

Florida Senator Marco Rubio, delivering the keynote address at a Susan B. Anthony gala, said “We as a society must solve: What do you do when two rights are in conflict with one another? What we have here on one hand is a woman’s ‘right to choose,’ whatever they mean by that. Directly in conflict, an unborn child’s right to live.” “Immediately,” he says, “the other side will say ‘our right to choose is more important than the right to live because an embryo is not a person.’ Well if it’s not a person, what is it? Because if you left it alone, that’s the only thing it could become.”

As Senator Rubio stated, we are “the voice of children who cannot speak for themselves, of lives that may never have a chance to contribute to our society and make a difference, of the unknown names of millions of children whose contributions to our world will never happen because their right to life was never respected.”

I, like Senator Rubio, believe that the actions that have resulted because of Roe v. Wade will be looked upon as barbaric in nature by future generations and that the generations after us will condemn us because of those actions. Pope Benedict XVI stated that “society as a whole must defend the conceived child’s right to life and the true good of the woman who can never, in any circumstances, find fulfillment in the decision to abort.”

With a liberal media that, as S.E. Cupp phrased it, no longer reports, but persuades, it is one of our most vital objectives to provide a voice to those who don’t yet have one. It is imperative to the “character of America” that we stop the slaughter of millions of innocent lives that continually occurs within our very nation and around the world. We are a government of, by, and for the people, and the people want a constitutional amendment to restore the rights that were taken from the unborn.

*These statistics were accurate as of President Reagan’s address.

‘Like’ us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @CSUCollegeGOP.

Alex Higgins is the president of College Republicans at CSU.