Weekender Calendar 2/24/12

Authors: Courtney Riley

MUSIC:
Wind Ensemble Concert with Special Guest Wesley Ferreira, Clarinet
Griffin Concert Hall, University Center for the Arts
Friday
7:30 p.m.
$7 students, $12 adults, $1 youth
The CSU Wind Ensemble, directed by Dr. Christopher Nicholas, “presents an exciting and innovative program including the world premiere of Concerto for Clarinet and Wind Ensemble by CSU’s own James David and featuring one of CSU’s newest faculty members, Wesley Ferreira,” according to event’s page on colostate.edu. “The multi-movement work depicts three iconic cars from 1966, each characterized by specific musical idioms: a Latin dance; a Gustav Holst-like scherzo; and bebop, funk and metal.”

Lannie Garrett- The Chick Sings Frank: A Tribute to Sinatra
Rialto Theater Center
Friday
8 p.m.
$40, $50 VIP seating
This is the 10th annual Foothills Night Out, a fundraising event that benefits Foothills Gateway, Inc. and the Namaqua Center. “Lannie and her top-notch quintet, The Errand Boys of Rhythm, will travel on a journey through Sinatra’s life, loves and one-of-a-kind career through story and song,” according to the theater’s website.

The CID Initiative Presents: Project Aspect Man Mantis DALCO v Goldyloxx 2ScoopS
Hodi’s Half Note
Friday
8 p.m.
$5 day of, $3 under 21
Denver’s Jay Jaramillo began Project Aspect in 2008, which is a “new vision in a digital/electronic light,” according to his Facebook page. “With a vast array of heavy bass tones, melodic ambiance, whompy hyphy crunchy beats, and mashup acapellas, Aspect brings a unique sound to the dance floor that will leave you craving more!”

SOJA with Dubskin and The Movement
Aggie Theatre
Friday
8 p.m.
$18
According to Poweredge Magazine, “SOJA is a Roots-Reggae band from Virginia, who over the last decade developed a global following and fanbase that drew the attention of many, including Dave Matthew’s ATO Records, who promptly signed them and told them to stay just as they are.” SOJA also has a new album out titled “Strength to Survive.”

Zoogma with Velocyti Raptor
Hodi’s Half Note
Saturday
8 p.m.
$8 day of, $11 under 21
“Zoogma combines the sonic diversity and precision of a DJ with the excitement and immediacy of a five piece rock group,” according to Hodi’s website. “Known for their energetic performances and retina pleasing light show, the band consistently dishes out heavy-weight beat-driven dance parties across the nation.”

Head for the Hills with Henhouse Prowlers PHOTO
Aggie Theatre
Saturday
8 p.m.
$15
“Head for the Hills possesses that secret ingredient,” according to Ryan Dembinsky of Glide Magazine. The band’s sound is described as “progressive acoustic/contemporary roots,” on its website and they are known for producing an “endearing mixture of homegrown compositions, traditional harmonies and improvisation.”

Josh Blackburn
Lucky Joe’s Sidewalk Saloon
Saturday
9 p.m.
According to Lucky Joe’s, Blackburn is a “simply amazing artist.” With experience entertaining on cruise ships and at apres ski bars, Blackburn “plays and sings as well as anyone and puts out a variety of music you want to hear. This guy brings it.”

THEATER:
‘Avenue Q’
Midtown Arts Center
Friday and Saturday: lounge and bar opens at 5:30 p.m., dinner seating at 6 p.m. Discounted Sunday matinee: lounge and bar opens at 11:30 a.m., dinner seating begins at noon
$49-$59
This Tony Award winner tells the story, using both people and puppets, of Princeton, a recent college grad who moves to an apartment in New York. According to Variety magazine, “Of all the musicals hatched in the post-2000 age of irony, Avenue Q has remained the freshest and funniest.”

‘The Dinner Detective’
Midtown Arts Center
Friday and Saturday
Lounge and bar open at 5:30 p.m.
Check-in begins at 6:15 p.m.
$59
This is the largest interactive murder mystery comedy dinner show in the United States was named the “Best Dinner show” in Los Angeles and Denver. According to the Boulder Daily Camera, “Almost everyone in the room is a suspect… the detectives keep the action lively throughout the dinner!”

‘Trying’ FILE PHOTO
Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m., Sunday at 2:30 p.m.
‘Trying’
$22 Regular, $17 senior, $12 student, $10 youth and $15 matinee
Joanna McClelland Glass’ “Trying” is based on her own experience in the 1960s.
“Trying shares how a 25-year-old girl and her employer –– a feisty, aristocratic, octogenerian judge –– manage to bridge the generation gap,” according to Bas Bleu’s website.

‘Othello’ PHOTO
Lincoln Center
Friday and Saturday
8 p.m.
$14 tonight for FAB Friday, $16 to $27 Saturday
“In his thrilling story of ‘Othello,’ the noble Moor who loved not wisely but too well, Shakespeare creates a tragedy of a love destroyed by jealousy,” according to the Openstage Theatre and Company. “In his most intimate tragedy, Shakespeare constructs a highly charged tale of prejudice, revenge and the destruction of innocence.” The show, put on by the Openstage Theatre, is playing at the Lincoln Center through March 18.

ART:
Hawaiian Quilts: God in Expression
Avenir Museum of Design and Merchandising, the University Center for the Arts
Friday
11 a.m.
Free
This exhibit features Hawaiian quilts from the Henry and Angela Hite Collection, with Elizabeth Akana as the guest curator. “Originally brought to the islands by New England missionaries, Hawaiian appliqué quilts are unique for their ‘snowflake’ designs,” according to the event’s website. “Imbued with the myths and traditions of the native Hawaiian population and references to the plant life and mythology of the islands, Hawaiian quilts are among the most visually striking of all quilt designs.”

Chihuly Venetians: From the George R. Stoemple Collection 2 PHOTOS
Fort Collins Museum of Art
Friday
10 a.m.
$8 adults, $6 students/seniors
According to the event’s website, “this exhibit will showcase over 45 works from Chihuly’s most innovative and unusual series that was inspired by Art Deco Venetian art glass from the 1920’s and 1930’s.” The main attraction of the exhibit is the “Laguna Murano Chandelier,” a five-piece structure made of 1,500 separate pieces of glass. Two pieces of the chandelier hang from the ceiling and three come up from the floor.

Book Work: An Exhibit of Repurposed Books
Bas Bleu Theatre
Friday 12:30 to 5:30 p.m., Saturday 1 to 4 p.m.
Free
Christy Martell is a part-time instructor at CSU and “a painter (and) mixed-media artist (who) currently works with three-dimensional objects created out of books, wood and encaustic,” according to the event’s website. Her work will be shown at the Bas Bleu Theatre’s gallery through Feb. 27.

LIFE:
International Cuisine Dining Series
Kendall Anderson Nutrition Center, 114 Gifford Building
Friday
Noon
$20 ($10 for CSU students and employees)
“Japan is known for fresh vegetables, vegetarian protein sources and impressive longevity,” according to the event’s page on colostate.edu. “In this class you’ll learn several tasty ways to incorporate these healthful habits.” The fee includes recipes, education materials and lunch.

Little Shop of Physics FILE PHOTO
Lory Student Center Main Ballroom
Saturday
10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Free
“Make electricity flow through your body, see blood flow under your skin, see how you look in infrared and ultraviolet.” These are just three of the 300 hands-on experiments and seven presentations featured in the Little Shop of Physics.
MOVIES:

Pulp Fiction MOVIE POSTER
The Mishawaka’s Spokesbuzz Lounge
Saturday
8 p.m.
Free
This cult classic directed by Quentin Tarantino debuted in theaters in 1994 starring Uma Thurman, John Travolta, Samuel L. Jackson, Bruce Willis and more. “Outrageously violent, time-twisting, and in love with language, Pulp Fiction was widely considered the most influential American movies of the 1990s,” according to Rotten Tomatoes.com. The story includes “the serious violence of American gangster movies, crime movies, and films noirs mixed up with the wacky violence of cartoons, video games and Japanese animation.”

Oscar Party
Lyric Cinema Cafe
Sunday
5:30 p.m.
Free
They Lyric is celebrating the 84th annual Academy Awards by inviting guests to come to the cinema dressed in “classy” attire to fill out Oscar ballots. According to the Lyric’s website, “Prizes will be given away, booze will be consumed, children will be conceived, worlds will collide, the Lyric will be rocking!”