Authors: Emily Kribs

The local punk rock band Elway, made up of four CSU alumni, believes the key to their success is a laid-back attitude, putting their friendship first and doing everything they can to have a good time.

“We go to certain lengths to have fun. Sometimes our lyrics can be serious, but we make sure we drink as much as possible, and we always have a great time,” laughed Tim Browne, Elway’s guitarist and vocalist.

The native Fort Collins band, founded in 2007, is playing at Road 34 on Elizabeth Street tonight at 9 p.m. Tickets cost is $5 at the door.

Along with Browne, the band consists of Joe Henderer on bass, Garrett Carr on drums and Brian van Proyen on guitar.

According to the Elway’s Facebook page, the band’s sound is a “unique and inebriated take on a time-tested formula: aggressive punk rock with soaring melodies coupled with lyrics ranging from that of the sad sap to the indignant atheist with a bevy of homespun dick jokes.”

“It’s like punk rock with a garnish of pop sensibility,” Browne said.

Their Facebook page explains their influences as “Being young/dumb/drunk enough to fall in love and the inevitable aging/heartache/hangover that ensues. Also Elvis Costello.”

Elway has been playing in Fort Collins for a little under five years.

“We used to be called 10-4 Eleanor, but when we got signed for a record deal, we decided to change the name,” Browne said. “We picked Elway because we thought it exemplified Colorado, kind of. Not as an homage to John Elway, not at all, but we thought the word was representative of Colorado.”

At the time of the name change, they described it with a reference to Franz Kafka’s The Metamorphosis: “Just as Gregor Samsa becomes a gigantic cockroach… so has 10-4 Eleanor become Elway.”

The switch caused some legal controversy between the band and John Elway, the latter of which felt the band was attempting to generate the false idea they were associated with him.

“We’re not the best musicians, and we’re not gifted, poetic songwriters or anything, but we have a lot of fun,” Browne said. “Other artists can get sidetracked with other things, and they can take themselves too seriously, but we’re friends first.”

“It’s not like a job,” he said. He attributes the band’s longevity to the members’ friendships and their casual attitude.

Elway’s audience consists of “anyone who enjoys rock, from Foo Fighters to Slayer to Green Day. Basically, if you enjoy loud, aggressive rock music,” Browne said.

Browne also claims that part of the band’s success can be attributed to their roots in Fort Collins. “We’re all CSU alumni, so we started in Fort Collins. It’s really easy to be a successful band here. It’s easy to get in front of people and have fun doing it.”

Samples of their music can be found at MySpace.com/elway or at Facebook.com/ElwayTheBand.

Collegian writer Emily Kribs can be reached at verve@collegian.com.

What: Elway
When: 9 p.m. tonight
Where: Road 34 Bike Shop
Cost: $5
Sample Elway’s music at: MySpace.com/elway or Facebook.com/ElwayTheBand