Eat up at Lucille's

Authors: Greg Mees

Can you think of a better way to start your weekend than with piping hot beignets and flaky biscuits?

No. Because to me, Saturday mornings are all about good food, and that’s what you’re in for if you go to Lucille’s Creole Café.

Even though there is always a little bit of a wait, trust me, your stomach will thank you after.

The waitress will start by asking if you want some beignets, and you should always answer “yes.” If there are only two of you, she’ll probably ask if you want a half-order. Even if you’re alone, your answer to that question should be “no.” A full-order of the soft pillows of dough are a must to get your meal off to the right start.

They are served warm and enveloped in powdered sugar. While everyone has different ways of eating them, my favorite is to top them off with Lucille’s homemade jam.

They have apple butter, and then my two favorites: orange marmalade and strawberry rhubarb. Smother your beignets in one of these and you will be in food heaven.

Also, the jam is a great topper to the massive, homemade biscuits that come with a lot of the entrees.

If you’re looking for something simple, the Eggs Eisenhower will satisfy, but if you’re in the mood to get a little crazy, try the Cajun Breakfast that includes red beans, poached eggs and one amazing hollandaise. Grits or potatoes come with most of the meals, and if you can’t decide, just get both.

Just a word of caution: you will leave the restaurant with a food baby, and may need a couple of hours to recover, but there’s just something about the food that you won’t be able to help but come back for more.