Authors: Erin Udell

Every time I mentioned that I had never been to Lucille’s Creole Café this semester, each guttural sound that would surely emanate from Greg Mees, our visual managing editor and resident binge eater, became more annoying than the last.

After months of these overreactions, I finally broke and headed to Lucille’s.

Nestled among patches of trees on the corner of Meldrum and Magnolia Streets, the little yellow house-turned-restaurant takes you into a different world – one not many Colorado girls like me are used to.

From the first time I stepped in last week, I loved the cozy feeling and southern charm, with black and white photos and old newspaper clippings framed in sparse clusters on the walls.

And, while the steaming plates of eggs and grits coming from the kitchen are what draws most of the restaurant’s early morning visitors, Lucille’s drinks aren’t too bad either.

On my first trip to Lucille’s, Greg and I enjoyed a full order of sweet and fluffy beignets, homemade New Orleans-style donuts, while I sipped on a morning mimosa.

After an accidental champagne spill, which resulted in a fit of Greg Mees’ hyena-like laughter, I successfully mixed in the fresh-squeezed orange juice and finally got to get a little taste of the restaurant everyone has been talking about during my four years at CSU.

Aside from mimosas, I’ve also heard good things about Lucille’s bloody Mary’s and tequila sunrises. Be warned, though, because most of their drinks cost upwards of $7, which is what most college students spend on an entire bottle of Burnetts.

If cost isn’t an issue and you’re in the mood for a classy breakfast cocktail, however, head to Lucille’s, one of my new favorite breakfast spots and a Fort Collins staple.