Authors: Jason Pohl

In 1992, the idea of bringing some of the world’s most awe-inspiring and adventurous films to the CSU campus was just that –– an idea.

But this weekend, nearly 20 years later, the university will once again host one of nearly 400 stops of the Banff Film Festival’s international tour, bringing with it more than just video of some truly spectacular travels.

This festival “is a chance to be entertained and inspired by some of the most talented, and often eccentric, explorers of the mountain world,” said Eric DeLuca, Outdoor Program Coordinator.

The film festival is held by the Banff Center in Alberta, Canada each fall after hundreds of videos from thrill seekers and culture hounds pour in from around the world.

From there, the best ones are selected and make the trek to at least 35 countries around the world.

Getting the tour to stop in Fort Collins has largely been the work of Rodney Ley, a director with the Outdoor Program. He initially heard of the festival from a student employee with the Outdoor Program and quickly realized just how popular a show like it would be in environment-oriented Fort Collins.

“It was an immediate hit,” Ley said. ”We have had sell-out crowds ever since.”

He added that what makes this collection of videos such a hit is that they celebrate all things travel-related, including adventure, culture, sports and all things relating to the mountain lifestyle.

“That resonates with the CSU crowd big time,” Ley said, encouraging everyone to watch the trailer for the 2011/2012 showing and attend at least one stop around the state.

Tickets are sold out for both showings in Fort Collins. Additional stops will be in Denver, Breckenridge, Colorado Springs and Boulder in the coming weeks.

For more information on locations, videos and the Banff Center, visit www.banffcentre.ca/mountainfestival

“It has been an honor to sponsor this for about 20 years now,” Ley said. “I hope it continues for another 20.”

Senior Reporter Jason Pohl can be reached at news@collegian.com.

What: Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour
Where: CSU Behavior Science Center Theater
When: Friday/Saturday, 7:30 p.m.
Doors open at 6:30 p.m.
More information at www.banffcentre.ca/mountainfestival/