Authors: The Rocky Mountain Collegian Editorial Board

As reported in today’s front page article, Nick Vasquez, a sophomore environmental health major at CSU, is teaming up with the organization Food and Water Watch to raise awareness for the effects plastic beverage bottles can have on the planet.

And while Vasquez’s efforts are noble, we think the chances of CSU joining the more than 20 U.S. colleges that have stopped selling plastic water bottles are, well, slim.

This, in no way, is meant to discredit Vasquez’s idea of banning bottles and encouraging public (and free) tap water filling stations. After all, that is a good idea to support. It’s just that it would go against the multi-million dollar contract CSU entered into last year with beverage giant Coca-Cola, the corporation that produces and provides Dasani water bottles on our campus.

While Coca-Cola says they “take extra initiatives to ensure green operation,” we think there is really no argument. As a “green” university, CSU officials should be jumping at the chance to make a simple fix to such a pointless problem by banning bottles and installing filling stations. However, we doubt this will happen.

Why? Because money talks at CSU – a university that is quickly losing its environmentally friendly roots in exchange for a big payout that compromises initiatives as worthy as Vasquez’s.

If this dilemma should highlight anything, it would be the importance of fighting for what you believe in. It will be a long road for those interested in banning bottles, but if you want to see a change in something, it’s up to you to try and make it.

“… money talks at CSU – a university that is quickly losing its environmentally friendly roots in exchange for a big payout…”