Authors: Andrew Carrera

Applications to become the next CSU System Chancellor are in the process of being reviewed by a search committee tasked with finding the best person for the job.

The 11-member group expects to interview the best candidates soon, and complete its work by March.

“There are quite a few people who are coming to the system who have an interest in applying,” said Robert Hottman, who sits on the committee and is President and CEO of E.K.S. & H., the largest Colorado-based accounting and business consulting firm.

The group started its work in December of 2011 after then-chancellor Joe Blake announced his plan to resign in July that same year.

Since then, it has met twice –– on Feb. 2 and Feb. 14 –– to review and analyze the candidate pool, said Kyle Henley, CSU Denver director of public relations in an email to the Collegian. Its next gathering will take place on Monday, Feb. 27 at 1:30 p.m. in at the CSU System Office in Denver.

“The bulk of their deliberations will be in executive session since they will be considering confidential candidate information,” Henley said. “Confidentiality is required by the Colorado Open Records Act, which protects the names of all candidates until they are declared finalists.”

While unable to explain its details, those involved with the process say that it’s moving along smoothly.

“We’ve got some outstanding applicants that the committee is reviewing,” said Jennifer Mullen, chair of CSU–Pueblo’s mass communication department and search committee member.

Mullen explained that traditional and non-traditional candidates are being considered for the position. Leaders in academia, for example, have submitted applications alongside prominent government officials and industry heads.

Performing well as a chancellor means “you really have to be a person who’s got a balance of skills,” Mullen said.

It’s a position that’s responsible for leading the CSU System’s operations, and is, “ … meant to bridge the gap between the state of Colorado and each campus,” said Rachel Roberson, vice president of the Associated Students of CSU, who serves as a student representative on the committee in an email to the Collegian.

More specifically, the chancellor sets the system’s legislative strategy, acts as the chief spokesperson for all its campuses and works to increase engagement among the entire operation’s 200,000 alumni.

The duties have been split among the CSU System Governing Board’s Chairman Joseph Zimlich and the three CSU System campus presidents: CSU President Tony Frank, CSU-Pueblo President Lesley Di Mare and CSU-Global Campus President Becky Takeda-Tinker.

Senior Reporter Andrew Carrera can be reached at news@collegian.com.

The CSU System…

… is comprised of three campuses: CSU–Ft. Collins, CSU–Pueblo and the online Global Campus.
… has an operating budget of more than $900 million, with annual research expenditures of more than $330 million.
… educate nearly 37,000 new and returning students annually, and graduates number more than 6,800 a year.
… has extension offices in 59 of the 64 Colorado counties.