Authors: Amy McDaniel

February is more than just the month that lovers everywhere indulge in the romance of Valentine’s Day; it is the month in which the history of a particular segment of the U.S. populace is remembered and commemorated. February is Black History Month, and CSU is proud to celebrate it.

From guest speakers to films, African American students and faculty on campus are dedicating much time and effort to unite the Black community and spread knowledge to all CSU affiliates throughout the month.

Since February 1st, the Lory Student Center has played host to many events in commemoration of Black History, which will continue until the 28th.

Each Monday throughout February, the LSC hosts Movie Nights to showcase films that highlight African American history and culture. The event is sponsored by the Black/African American Cultural Center, and is open to all who wish to attend. “American History X” and “The Great Debaters” are just two of the riveting and thought-provoking films being shown.

Not just for entertainment, the celebration includes serious “Real Talk” sessions on Tuesdays following the movie nights, which include discussions of the films as well as additional topics meant to stir up emotion, reflection and understanding for participants.

Social issues such as interracial dating and gender equality are some of the topics being highlighted. On Feb. 15, the dynamics of male/female relationships in the Black community will be discussed, hosted by speaker Trina Patterson.

Raven Kellum, a Sociology and Criminal Justice student who works in the Cultural Center, describes the “Pillow Talk” book discussions held specifically for women each year.

“Ms. Bridgette, the Director, will pick out a book that costs $5 for us, and at the end of the month she cooks and brings all these snacks and we come in our pajamas and bring our pillows, and we discuss the book. Last year we ended up staying in this office, I think until 1 a.m., just eating and talking about the book.”

Last February the ladies read Letters to our Daughter by Kristine Van Raden and Molly Davis, and this year’s Pillow Talk will focus on Mama Ruby by Mary Monroe. “It’s just all women, no guys allowed!” Kellum explains.

Comedian Tracey Ashley also performs at the Ramskeller to shed some hilarity on various social issues. The combination of comedy acts and inspirational keynote speakers like Malcolm X’s daughter Ilyasah Shabazz lends both humor and homage to the commemoration of Black history in America.

Director of the Black/African American Cultural Center, Bridgette Johnson, is quoted in Today@ColoradoState describing the celebration as “an opportunity to set aside a special time as a united people and reflect collectively” about what the Black community has gone through and overcome. With a population of approximately 627 African American students here at CSU, a number that has grown steadily each year, it is an opportunity to celebrate the culture of our peers.

“Every year Black History Month gets better . . . every year it’s revamped, we see new faces and I really like that. People think, well it’s Black history, it’s not my history, but it’s open to everybody, it’s a learning experience for everybody,” Kellum says.

No matter what race, ethnicity or gender, the entire campus population can join in the tribute to this historical month. More information about specific times and dates of all the events in honor of Black History Month at CSU can be found at www.today.colostate.edu or at the website for the Black/African American Cultural Center, located in the LSC, at http://baacc.colostate.edu.